SEO effect of sub-menu items?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion SEO effect of sub-menu items?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Neu 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Posh John
    Participant

Any SEO gurus out there?

Google is known for not liking hidden content, whether it be obscured or using css (display:none;), so my question is this…

Considering lots of menus have drop-down items and the links in the drop-down will be “display:none;” until the parent is clicked/hovered over, one must assume that Google understands this fact and is not penalizing everyone, but…

What is the SEO effect of having a page as a direct link in the menu, or in the drop-down? Will the target page receive more “love” if it is a main link rather than in a drop-down?

Would love to hear some thoughts on this.

Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. Genesis 2

Robert Neu
    Participant

My general opinion on dropdowns is that they are shit. They are shit for a lot of reasons, one of which is that they’re not ideal for SEO*.

People severely underestimate the value of siloing their site. Think about it like this:

Google wants relevancy in everything that you do. Is it relevant to have a link to damn near every page of your site on every page of your site? If you have a section on your site about cars, why would you link to it from the section of your site about dogs? I’m not sure why you’d have a site with sections about dogs and cars, but you get the idea.

Dropdowns also water down your linkjuice. If you’ve got 10 menu items plus 5 or 6 dropdowns for each you’ve got 60-70 links on every single page before you even get into your content. That’s not good.

Here’s a pretty good guide on how to create a siloed website: http://scratch99.com/wordpress/wp-seo/siloing/

*I’m sure plenty of people will disagree with me on this. That’s fine. My opinion is based on my own testing/experience as well as data that’s been published all over the web. If you think dropdowns are great for SEO, awesome. Keep using them.

Co-Founder of Audit WP, a WordPress SEO audit service and Flagship, a new WordPress theme company launching soon!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Robert Neu.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Robert Neu.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.