Set web server handle 404 errors for some file types using .htaccess

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Set web server handle 404 errors for some file types using .htaccess

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Markupcloud

I had learned a lot from answers here and now I have very specific question, which I couldn’t find on the Internet (is this possible?)…

The goal is to set custom ErrorDocument 404, that handles not existing chosen static files like: /notfound.jpg and in a subdirectory (for any directory): /dir/notfound.jpg, for sites running under WordPress with pretty permalinks enabled. It will avoid high load on the server when some chosen static files are missing or linked incorrectly!

I’m using a slightly modified code from the W3 Total cache plugin in my .htaccess file:

ErrorDocument 404 /_code_404.html

# BEGIN (modified) W3TC Skip 404 error handling by WordPress for static files
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(robots\.txt|sitemap\.xml(\.gz)?)
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} \.(css|js|bmp|gif|ico|jpg|jpeg|jpe|png|swf)$ [NC]
    RewriteRule .* - [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END (modified) W3TC Skip 404 error handling by WordPress for static files

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

I’m trying it on 2 different servers with Cpanel, on shared plans, both have WordPress with pretty permalinks and the result is the same:

Works just as expected for requests like http://mydomain.com/notfound.jpg

Doesn’t work for not found file in a subdirectory like this http://mydomain.com/dir/notfound.jpg. In this case the WP handles the request and shows 404 page, which I want to avoid for certain file types, i.e. for static files like: css, js, jpg and a few more…

Any answers and comments are welcome, thanks! I can try any suggestions you may have (even untested).

Susan

As you posted this more than 2 months ago, I hope you were able to get your issue resolved. If not, please report back here, and I will escalate for you.

If it has been resolved, please update the thread, and I will close it.

Thanks!

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.