Setting up Development or Test Site

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Setting up Development or Test Site

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nick Carter 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Euchre4
    Participant

Now that my site is actually live, I want to setup both a mirror site and a development site while I work on the next major release.

I have tried 2 different options to setup a mirror site.

http://quirm.net/2011/05/05/installing-wordpress-locally-using-easyphp/

I have easyphp running but can’t get it the mysql db to work :-(

This option has been more successful

http://semperfiwebdesign.com/blog/setting-up-a-wordpress-development-environment-on-your-hosted-server/

however when I copied public_html to my  backup site none of my pages copied over.

Anyone out there have suggestions / options?   I imagine this is a fairly common need as I certainly don’t want to blast updates to live without testing them first.

Thanks

Mike

braddalton
    Participant

Use the WP Migrate DB plugin

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Euchre4
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Brad.  I was hoping to have my mirror site on the server, and also create a development site for the next rev. on the web.  It appears that installing locally is the preferred method.  I can see the benefit of a local mirror for updates to the existing site, but when you have a client that wants to see progress on your next rev. of the site, a web based copy makes sense.

Mike

braddalton
    Participant

No worries.

I think MS Webmatrix enables you to work locally and update back and forth but its not well supported for setup tutorials and a totally system than anything else i have tried to learn how to use for this purpose.

Personally, i use instantwp.com with the entire SP range of themes installed.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Nick Carter
    Participant

Well as per  my concern the best method for testing is to mirror your site on the live server. I do development on localhost as well but there are generally too many differences between my local machine and the “real” server to be sure everything works as expected.

For a mirror basically setup a subdomain on your hosting server, setup a mirror database, dump the live files to the development mirror and dump the live mysql database and import it to the mirror database.

For instance today I have to track down an error after upgrading to 2.0.4 on a live site. So I’ll dump the live database and sFTP the files to my localhost.

Nick Carter
    Participant

Well as per my knowledge the best method for testing is to mirror your site on the live server. I do development on localhost as well but there are generally too many differences between my local machine and the “real” server to be sure everything works as expected.
    For a mirror basically setup a subdomain on your hosting server, setup a mirror database, dump the live files to the development mirror and dump the live mysql database and import it to the mirror database.    For instance today I have to track down an error after upgrading to 2.0.4 on a live site. So I’ll dump the live database and sFTP the files to my localhost.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.