Sidebar Menus – Using Secondary Menus/Child Pages

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Sidebar Menus – Using Secondary Menus/Child Pages

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jen Baumann 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Dawud Miracle
    Participant

Using Custom Menus for sidebar menu with dropdowns/flyouts. Know to how to raw code for it. But, to give my wife more flexibility, wondering if there’s either a plugin or code snippet you guys would recommend that would make using submenus in the sidebar (with the main nav also in sidebar) easier to setup?

nichole
    Participant

There are two really cool menu plugins I’ve used on customer sites recently -

http://bit.ly/10R9SN3 – This one has vertical (sidebar) & horizontal menu options for sure.  It’s also responsive which is really nice.

http://bit.ly/Rh5XHG – This one is similar to the one above but I’m not completely sure if it can go in the sidebar

Jen Baumann
    Keymaster

This is probably what you are looking for: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/be-subpages-widget/

If you need technical support for your theme please file a ticket.

The forums are community based. Staff only monitors the forum for issues relating to the forum itself and to redirect users to where they need to go.

Dawud Miracle
    Participant

Thanks Nichole & Jen. I know about each of these plugins and have used Uber & Be Subpages on projects.

I think maybe I didn’t explain my needs clearly. Please, let me try again.
    My wife’s site – she doesn’t want horizontal nav at all – only vertical in sidebar. AND, she wants submenus (setup as child pages) to show up when she’s either on the parent page or on any of the child pages under that parent. All this is in the sidebar.

What I’m wondering is whether there’s anything already working with Genesis that will do this. For instance, is there a way to use the Custom Menu widget that I may not know about to achieve this? Or are there hooks I could use? Even existing CSS? Anything to make it easier for her.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, in advance.

Jen Baumann
    Keymaster

I’m still not clear as to what you are trying to do. Are you looking for the page’s submenu to basically be “open” for display in the custom nav only on that page and subpages? If so, then you can use the menu classes to hide and show things with css.  This isn’t complete, but you’ll get the idea:

.sidebar .menu ul {
    display: none;
    }
    .sidebar .menu .current-menu-item ul,
    .sidebar .menu .current-menu-ancestor ul {
    display: block;
    }

The forums are community based. Staff only monitors the forum for issues relating to the forum itself and to redirect users to where they need to go.

Dawud Miracle
    Participant

Of course…this is why I asked. Sometimes I’m too close to the project to see the simplest solution. Thanks Jen.

Been a while since I’ve done a sidebar menu and the last time was probably outside of Genesis. So I wasn’t thinking so much about CSS as I was plugin. And, CSS will do exactly what I need – so, again, thanks.

Jen Baumann
    Keymaster

You’re very welcome!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.