Sidebar

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Joseph Lee 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Joseph Lee
    Participant

I am trying to avoid having to create a sidebar.php to call a specific sidebar to a page template. As detailed here:

http://dreamwhisperdesigns.com/genesis-tutorials/load-sidebar-specific-pages/

(custom page)(assume I register rets-sidebar in function.php)
    /** Remove default sidebar & Add rets sidebar */
    remove_action( ‘genesis_sidebar’, ‘genesis_do_sidebar’ );
    add_action( ‘genesis_sidebar’, ‘rets_landing_widget’ );
    function rets_landing_widget() {

echo ‘<div id=”rets-sidebar”>’;
    dynamic_sidebar( ‘rets-sidebar’ );
    echo ‘</div><!– end #rets-sidebar –>’;
    }

Will this work? I have seen a function call a sidebar to a homepage without creating a “X”-sidebar.php. I don’t see why I can’t create a sidebar in function.php then put it in a function then put the function in an add.

Please if someone that has mad PHP skills/Genesis can comment on this. I am terrified to try (throw a php error on a live site). I don’t know if this works why I would ever WANT to upload another file in my theme… In fact, give me my pros vs cons on why Dream Whisper Designs chose to do it her way and not this more simple way?  <— No knock on this developer. Her site is remarkably well designed!

braddalton
    Participant

You want the custom sidebar on the homepage?

Which url?

WordPress Developer & Consultant
    Brad Dalton400+ StudioPress Tutorials & 1200+ Code snippets

Joseph Lee
    Participant

I need the custom sidebar to appear on a template. I have a plugin that runs and generates pages dynamically. So I can’t select the pages created in the pages area of admin. I can just call the sidebar from the template so it will pull the correct one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.