Simple Sidebars, Custom Post Types and Categories

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Simple Sidebars, Custom Post Types and Categories

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  emzo 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

leonberry
    Participant

I’ve created a new sidebar using simple sidebars and it works great with pages, posts and the standard post type categories.

For some reason the simple sidebars drop downs don’t appear on my custom post type called  ”products”.

I’ve added the following to my custom_functions:
    add_post_type_support( ‘products’, ‘genesis-simple-sidebars’ );

It makes the drop down appear on the product pages but not for the product categories.

Any ideas how to make the drop downs appear on category pages?

Thanks
    Leon

braddalton
    Participant

You could use another custom sidebar plugin

WordPress Developer & Consultant
    Brad Dalton400+ StudioPress Tutorials & 1200+ Code snippets

leonberry
    Participant

Thanks Brad, i’ll check it out!

leonberry
    Participant

Same problem Brad, I can only see the categories from “posts” and not my “products” post type.

I wonder if it’s a problem with the theme? I’m using Clip Cart 1.3.2 by Themedy. I’ve asked Themedy about it, but apparently they have no experience with custom sidebars! – they did tell me to lodge a support ticket with Studiopress which I did. Studiopress told me to ask the forum because it meant making changes to my theme.

My aim is to show useful information to users based on their category selection within products.

Frustrated I am.

Cheers
    Leon

braddalton
    Participant

Custom Sidebars Plugin is the easiest way. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-sidebars/

Or you can code it http://dreamwhisperdesigns.com/genesis-tutorials/load-sidebar-specific-pages/

You may also be able to add support for Genesis Simple Sidebars for archives.

WordPress Developer & Consultant
    Brad Dalton400+ StudioPress Tutorials & 1200+ Code snippets

emzo
    Participant

Assuming your Custom Post Types is called ‘movie’, you need to add the following line in your functions.php

add_post_type_support('movie', 'genesis-simple-sidebars');

Replace ‘movie’ with whatever your CPT is called.

Hop this helps!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.