Site password and access hacked???

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Site password and access hacked???

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 41 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

VegasAgent
    Participant

Help! I think one of my WordPress sites was hacked. I can’t get into it with the password (I was able to get in Saturday) and it will not recognize either one of my email addresses to reset the password. Yesterday I did get a warning that someone had requested a password reset on one of my other sites and I just ignored it because it wasn’t me. That one I can still get into.

How can I regain control of my site?? I do have access to the server where it is hosted. But I am not very sophisticated on all this tech stuff, so I need really simple explanations please.

http://tuscanyvillagehomes.org

braddalton
    Participant

VegasAgent
    Participant

What is the emergency password reset script? I did try to use the password reset but it did not recognize my email addresses or user name.

I can access the web host server through the c panel. What do I need to do there? again, I am not very technical so a simple explanation?

VegasAgent
    Participant

By the way, Brad, thanks for trying to help me!! I sure do appreciate it.

Summer
    Participant

If you’re not comfortable technically with using phpMyAdmin to manually edit and update the user tables in the database to regain access, your best bet may be to contact your hosting provider, tell them what’s happened and let them handle it for you.

eamonmoriarty
    Participant

If you have cpanel access go there and you should be able to reset the password via phpMyAdmin. This is fairly easy. There are easy to follow instructions to be found here:

Eamon Moriarty
    EM Dzine

VegasAgent
    Participant

I was able to access phpMyAdmin and locate the databases. There are two for this site, and both have the correct email addresses attached to them under “users”. So why can I not reset the passwords in tuscanyvillagehomes.org/wp-admin using the password resets? Neither one of the email addresses is being recognized?

Summer
    Participant

There used to be a trick where added non-printable characters make the email addresses not match.

You can edit the wp_users table and edit the user_email field for the user you want, delete what’s there and retype it in then try the password reset again, see if that works?

Also, check your WP files in file manager to make sure none of those have been compromised.

VegasAgent
    Participant

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I do appreciate the help. I went in and edited the phpMyAdmin databases, retyped in the email addresses and generated the passwords using the link from the page Eamon sent me. I still can’t get into the site and it still does not recognize the email addresses I have used. Any other ideas?? I guess as a last resort I could totally reinstall it from a backup? That should contain the correct user info, yes? I always hate to do that, though.

Summer
    Participant

And you’re sure you’re editing the tables in right databases for the sites? Otherwise it doesn’t make sense that that trick didn’t work. Was your wp-config compromised at all?

If you have a backup of the database, you could try copying the user info from the old into the new, see if you can then get in using your old password. Once you get access again, make sure you change your database passwords just in case.

VegasAgent
    Participant

How would I tell if the wp-config was compromised? I just finally took your suggestion and emailed my hosting company to see if they could help me. I am pretty sure I was in exactly the right place. The screens looked the same as the one in the sample at http://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/how-to-reset-a-wordpress-password-from-phpmyadmin/ There were two databases for this site, so I edited both of them to be on the safe side.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  VegasAgent.
    • This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  VegasAgent.

Summer
    Participant

Just make sure the database in wp-config is the one you’ve been editing. What’s your setup using 2 databases to do?

VegasAgent
    Participant

I open up the cpanel for the site, click on phpMyAdmin and then click on databases. It shows three actually, but the first one is the schema for wordpress. The other two are Tuscany_1 and Tuscany_2. Under the first one I clicked on wp_users and under the second one I clicked on wp_tuscanyusers. They both give me the options to edit the username and password. Does that sound right?

Summer
    Participant

As long as you’re editing the table in the database that’s defined in the wp-config, then that’s what should work. If you stuck to defaults on your install, then wp_users is the table you want.

VegasAgent
    Participant

My hosting company is saying that it looks like the users were deleted, but when they tried to do a reinstall of the user info from the 7th, it had the same issue. (I actually edited this site on the 8th so I know it was working then.) They are going to try from two previous installs, but if the one from the 7th didn’t work, I have no idea why the earlier versions would. Help! Now I don’t know what to do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.