So where do I make this change if the file doesn't exist?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks So where do I make this change if the file doesn't exist?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jeana
    Participant

I’m trying to implement CSS styling to the <next page> pagination. However, with Genesis not having the proper .php files to edit, how would I go about completing these instructions?

This is driving me nuts and I’m really hoping you can help!!

I am using the News Child Theme.

———-
    Finally, call the function in your theme (typically near the bottom of index.php or loop.php where it says “Older posts” or “Older entries”):

<?php if (function_exists(“pagination”)) {
    pagination($additional_loop->max_num_pages);
    } ?>
    ———————-

bluesteelesolutions
    Participant

Can you provide a link to your site? I think it is usually the .navigation tag you want to edit but I am not 100% sure on the News theme

Offering full service marketing solutions; print, marketing strategy, CRM, and (duh!) Genesis web design/development.
    Blue Steele Solutions

Jeana
    Participant

sorry – my site is at http://www.surfandsunshine.com

bluesteelesolutions
    Participant

You should be able to style it with .navigation a

Offering full service marketing solutions; print, marketing strategy, CRM, and (duh!) Genesis web design/development.
    Blue Steele Solutions

Jeana
    Participant

Thanks – I really appreciate your help…unfortunately I have no idea what you’re talking about. Sorry – I can edit files and copy/paste or make minor edits to existing code, but I don’t know anything about writing code.

bluesteelesolutions
    Participant

Oh ok – what do you want them to look like and I can help you get the css written for it :)

Blue Steele Solutions

Jeana
    Participant

Sorry I guess I should have just given this link to start with.

The CSS is already written (http://design.sparklette.net/teaches/how-to-add-wordpress-pagination-without-a-plugin/).

I’ve made the edit to my CSS as indicated and also made the edit to the functions.php as indicated. I am stuck on Step 3. (which is the part I wrote about above)

braddalton
    Participant

I think this code is far easier to use because its written for Genesis child themes and links all posts within the same categories together which is far more related than all posts in all categories.

All you need to do is copy the PHP code from the view raw link and paste the code at the end of your child themes functions.php file.

And here’s the CSS you can start with:

https://gist.github.com/braddalton/5990078

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

braddalton
    Participant

Note: The above code uses the old XHTML hooks.

You might need to change [php]genesis_entry_footer[/php] to [php]genesis_after_post_content[/php] in the code if you’re running Genesis 1.9 and NOT the new Genesis 2.0 HTML 5 enabled child themes.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.