Strategy for Tagging Categories

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Strategy for Tagging Categories

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mealtog 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Mealtog
    Participant

So, who else uses more than 1 category / post? I am trying to figure out a new (& better hopefully) was to tag posts inside categories. I have always tagged a post with more than 1 category when relevant but am finding that as the posts grow, the ability to strictly target ads by category becomes more complicated with a post is tagged with more than 1 category and Visibility of a widget is based on categories.

Does anyone have any insight for a better way to tag posts?

Davinder Singh Kainth
    Participant

For every post, one category with multiple tags works best. Overall better organization.

Need website customization services or other Genesis / WordPress help ?
    Davinder @ Design Studio iGuiding Media | My Blog | Fresh Genesis Themes Collection

Mealtog
    Participant

I think that too but sometimes wonder what the downside would be to have 1 post included in more than 1 category. Any thoughts? I guess I need to find out why this is a bad idea.

Davinder Singh Kainth
    Participant

If you set categories and tags as “no archive” in SEO settings, then there is no downside from SEO point of view. However, Google still manage to index category and tag pages (seen it many times).

So one should be careful on how “many” category and tag pages are created. One category and multiple tags for each post can be easily managed. Though I do use 2-3 categories for same post sometimes.

Davinder @ Design Studio iGuiding Media | My Blog | Fresh Genesis Themes Collection

Mealtog
    Participant

Thanks for your thoughts. I actually don’t even use tags and was wondering how I should proceed with a new site. Is that “no archive” SEO setting in Genesis or Yoast?

Davinder Singh Kainth
    Participant

That setting is present in both Genesis and Yoast by SEO by plugin. For Genesis default, goto Genesis > SEO Settings and check “Robots Meta Settings” section.

Mealtog
    Participant

When you say “no archive” in Yoast, do you mean enabling “Noindex subpages of archives”?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.