Streamline theme: Customising home featured area

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Streamline theme: Customising home featured area

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bill Murray 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ginny
    Participant

I would like to amend the home featured area of the Streamline theme. I have three questions which may actually be two! I have done part of the customisation making the area smaller and aligning the text. I have amended the theme so it has front-page.php instead of home.php (only changed name nothing else) as per Nick, to make it a static front page – this worked fantastically, however I now have some issues in the detail of the design.

Firstly I wonder if the images shown could be made larger? To do this I think I would need to register a new feature image size in the php? Is there anything else I’d need?
    Secondly the title is too far away from the image so I want to make this closer, I’ve tried all kinds of adjustments to the CSS but can’t get it to do what I want. Can you tell me which part of the CSS I need to change and if I need to add something in?

My third question is in regards to the read more button. Why does it come half way up the feature widget area? How do I get it to go to the bottom of the box?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Ginny.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Ginny.

Anita
    Participant

Please post a link to your site so we can take a look. Thank you.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Ginny
    Participant

Oh, looks like I never added my site then! It’s http://www.blossomyourbusiness.com/

Bill Murray
    Participant

1) You’re right about registering a new image size. See your child theme’s functions.php. Keep in mind that whenever you register a new size, you have to regenerate thumbnails for that size. WP generates those thumbnails on upload, so if you change sizes, the new size doesn’t exist for old images. I recommend AJAX Thumbail Rebuild for this.

2) For styling, remove the height: 300px; on the ID #home-featured near line 541 of your child theme stylesheet. Yes, that will push things down, but it will give you a better sense of how to adjust the space.

3) Next, in part because of #2 above, adjust the padding on some elements as below. This will address your gap between title & image.

[css]
    #home-featured .post, #home-featured .page {
    padding: 0 30px 0 30px;
    }
    [/css]

4) If the bottom padding for this area is still too much for your taste, adjust the padding for .home-featured-1 (near line 557) through -3 as below.

[css]
    padding: 30px 30px 0;
    [/css]

5) For your third question, my #2 should alter that, but after you make some of these changes, post back and someone can take another look.

Web: https://wpperform.com or Twitter: @wpperform

We do managed WordPress hosting.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.