Styling Portfolio Taxanomies in Minimum Pro

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Styling Portfolio Taxanomies in Minimum Pro

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

scotm
    Participant

I want to categorize my portfolio items in Minimum Pro by way of a new taxonomy.

To do this, I’ve created a new taxonomy in my functions.php file called “Type”. I then duplicated the archive-portfolio.php template file and renamed it taxonomy-portfolio-type.php. This works fine, as I can now categorize my portfolio items in various categories under Type.

However I need some guidance on how to style these posts in the taxonomy archive template and my style sheet so that they appear the same as the existing archive template.

A tutorial on how to do this appears here: http://bit.ly/17GTfW2

Cheers

• This topic was modified 12 months ago by  scotm.
    • This topic was modified 12 months ago by  scotm.

Anita
    Participant

Look for all of the CSS associated with “post-type-archive-portfolio” in the style sheet – replicate that code for your new “type”.

When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!
    Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me!

scotm
    Participant

@anitac

Yes I figured that would be the route to go, but was unsure of the class name to use for the taxonomy when duplicating the css (e.g. post-type-archive-portfolio-type).

Anita
    Participant

Hold on, let me check it real quick.

When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!
    Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!

Anita
    Participant

The current Archive Portfolio file name is archive-portfolio.php. So I am thinking you will need to change it to the file name you created “post-type-taxonomy-portfolio-type”. If that doesn’t work use just use the word “type” but if I were you, to cut down on confusing words, maybe create a new name for the custom post type instead of the word type.

scotm
    Participant

I’m using “type” for testing purposes only and had seen the potential conflict with the names. So you’re saying, for example, to try:

“.post-type-taxonomy-portfolio-type .entry” to replace an instance of “.post-type-archive-portfolio .entry”

This doesn’t appear to work. Curious that firebug shows the <div class=”portfolio-image”> in the portfolio archive template but there’s no reference to that in the stylesheet.

mattsmansfield
    Participant

Scotm – did you ever solve this? Thanks to your excellent link above, I have everything worked out, but the grid is not working on the taxonomy archive page – each portfolio item appears on a page by itself with a “Next” page numerical navigation beneath it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

-Matt

mattsmansfield
    Participant

Scotm – did you ever solve this? Thanks to your excellent link above, I have everything worked out, but the grid is not working on the taxonomy archive page – each portfolio item appears on a page by itself with a “Next” page numerical navigation beneath it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

-Matt

mattsmansfield
    Participant

Never mind – I figured it out. I needed to replicate some code in the child theme’s functions.php:

//* Change the number of portfolio items to be displayed (props Bill Erickson)
    add_action( 'pre_get_posts', 'minimum_portfolio_items' );
    function minimum_portfolio_items( $query ) {

if ( $query->is_main_query() && !is_admin() && is_post_type_archive( 'portfolio' ) ) {
    		$query->set( 'posts_per_page', '6' );
    	}

}

Here’s the code I added:

//* Change the number of portfolio-category items to be displayed (props Bill Erickson)
    add_action( 'pre_get_posts', 'minimum_portfolio_category_items' );
    function minimum_portfolio_category_items( $query ) {

if ( $query->is_main_query() && !is_admin() && is_tax( 'portfolio-category' ) ){
    		$query->set( 'posts_per_page', '6' );
    	}
    }

braddalton
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.