subdomains or subdirectories?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion subdomains or subdirectories?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  essaysnark 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gordy
    Participant

I have a media site  and I am planning to have another related site that would focus particularly  on entertainment, like featuring wedding anniversary, birthdays etc…..

And I would like to know if I should create a subdomain or a subdirectory for the new site?

I would appreciate your advice

Thanks

Ozzy
    Participant

more of an SEO question but this is a good watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MswMYk05tk

essaysnark
    Participant

As a WordPress novice, I could never figure out how to set up the subdomain thing under one WP installation – it’s probably very simple but was non-obvious. So, besides the SEO question, you’ll need to figure out what the content is going to be and how the two sites are (inter)related, and how/who will manage them. We ended up just creating a dedicated WP page to house related-but-separate content on our site, including its own template, and a specific menu being displayed only on that page. The resulting URL looks like a subdirectory based on how we’ve got our permalinks set up (www.domain.com/topic/) and it’s allowing us to manage it just like the rest of the site. If you want the sub-site to have its own look-and-feel from the main site, it may be more challenging to pull off. If it’s a child to the parent site, it’s probably easier.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.