Subscribe – Comments and related settings

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Subscribe – Comments and related settings

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  chalfant 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

chalfant
    Participant

Well, here I go again on the same topic.
    I have a few questions again, sorry.

I need to make the basic decision as to what my settings should be regarding subscription/registration and allowing comments. It’s been difficult deciding as one article suggests one way; another contradicts.

My site is a community service support site; I don’t sell anything. I wish to create a place for discussion too.
    I’ve been hit with hackers and loads of spam so I just set my WP site accordingly-

I Unchecked Membership – (anyone can register) so they must sign up.
    New user is Subscriber.
    Users must be registered and logged in to comment.

Is this my best policy overall?
    On the fence about this.

I just got MailChimp to use for signup and have a registration widget (Via genesis eNews Extender plug)

If someone tries to make a comment the WP login comes up. I don’t want that, so can I redirect them to the subscription?

Thanks in advance.
    Charles

http://thevaperstable.com/

Summer
    Participant

Subscription and Registration are two separate animals.

If you have your settings to require people to register before they can leave comments, what that will do is force them to create a login to your website that they will have to use in order to leave comments. That process can include requiring them to subscribe to your newsletter, but a newsletter signup alone will not force them to be registered users on your website.

So if you want them to register to use your website, they will need to login to WP before they can leave comments. If that’s not what you want, then you might need to think up a different strategy… I don’t think I’ve seen anything that checks a user registration against a mailing list rather than an internal list of users, be it WP or Wishlist or S2 or any of a dozen other membership plugins.

chalfant
    Participant

I went ahead and got MailChimp and Feedburner.
    I cannot understand why one would be directed to sign up at WordPress; that’s just stupid for an end user visiting a site.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.