Suggested Plugin to Create a Directory

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Suggested Plugin to Create a Directory

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dorian Speed 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

katymartin
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a plugin that I could use to create a directory of service providers on my website. I am also hoping that this directory would be able to be accessed and edited by the service providers themselves. Ideally they would be able to upload text, url, contact details, photos/logo, for example. Can anyone make suggestions for a plugin that works well with Genesis?

Thanks in advance.

Dorian Speed
    Participant

We built something similar for a Chamber of Commerce site using Custom Post Types. Brandon Kraft did the heavy lifting. because we wanted people to have varying degrees of “fancyness” for their listings based on how much they were willing to pay – this particular directory has a free, basic, and premium listing. We also needed to ensure that only Chamber members were able to post listings – sounds like you might not need that.

There’s not a plugin out there that would do what we wanted to, but we used Premise to restrict the amount of listing fancyness (technical term, ha ha) and a CPT for the directory entries. You need to consider whether or not you want the service provider to have to have a listing approved by an administrator before it’s initially posted and again whenever it’s edited. We ended up using a combination of plugins and custom code.

It does look like this plugin offers a lot of features – I haven’t used it before, though:

http://businessdirectoryplugin.com/features/

Bringing websites Up to Speed
    Firebug will light the way to understanding the secrets of the Internet!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.