SUGGESTION: announce ALL theme updates, not just major releases

Community Forums Forums Forum Bugs and Suggestions SUGGESTION: announce ALL theme updates, not just major releases

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gary Jones 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

brother7
    Participant

New releases and major upgrades (1.0 -> 2.0) are announced in the StudioPress blog or the StudioPress Twitter feed. But the minor releases (1.0 ->1.1 or 1.0 -> 1.0.1) are never announced. And StudioPress doesn’t push theme upgrades through the WordPress admin panel. So the only way to keep up-to-date is to visit My StudioPress to check the current version of your theme, then go back to your site to see what version you’re running. Additionally, there is no changelog.

I wish there were a centralized place or feed where one could monitor all the releases, major AND minor, along with the changes.

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

Thank you for the recommendation. Generally the “minor” updates are not announced because there usually isn’t a need to upgrade. When the update is fixing an important bug we do try to send out notifications. I’ll check to see if there might be a way to be more active in sending update availability information out. Generally it isn’t intended that child themes be updated however.

brother7
    Participant

I like to have the latest and greatest. If it’s important enough for StudioPress to release it, then I want it.

With stealth, unannounced releases, it makes it hard for users like me.

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

We are making some changes to the development system so it might be possible to have an update system like this. I can’t promise anything, but I can see if it might be possible to create a feed of sorts for users looking to the latest. The difficulty is separating theme updates from development updates that are not live. We do plenty of behind the scene updates, especially with Genesis, before pushing the release product out there.

brother7
    Participant

EXAMPLE: Genesis framework 1.9.0 was released yesterday, 1/7/2013. The next day, it was updated to 1.9.1. But the update wasn’t announced anywhere as far as I can tell. I just checked the StudioPress Twitter account… no announcement. I checked the StudioPress blog… nothing. If the core framework is updated, doesn’t that warrant an announcement?

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

An email went out to the mailing list and there was a blog post on the 1.9.0 update

http://www.studiopress.com/releases/genesis-framework-19.htm

The 1.9.1 update addresses an issue and was pushed as soon as we found the problem. Since the 1.9.0 updates are literally still being read for the very first time by the majority of users we didn’t do a second email campaign or blog update.

Gary Jones

Something like api.studiopress.com/themes that returns JSON data of the SP themes, version number, last updated etc.?

Changes in Genesis 2.1 – the ultimate guide to every single change in Genesis Framework 2.1 and 2.1.1 (all 88 of them!) | @GaryJ

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.