Taking Genesis Above & Beyond the Call of Duty

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Taking Genesis Above & Beyond the Call of Duty

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anita 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Terri
    Participant

Hello Designers & Developers!

I received a highly unusual request for a WP site this morning.  At least for me it’s unusual, and I doubt it can be done in WP.  What I need is a home page that is nothing more than a Member Signup page (with Flash components — and for the record, I HATE Flash probably more than iPhone hates it).  The site itself needs to function along the same as Facebook — Members create profiles, post photos, Like, Comment, Share, and Follow.  In addition (yep….there’s more!), the photos don’t scroll down the page.  Instead, there are NEXT and PREVIOUS arrows on the side of the photos AND each photo is supposed to have a description of items in the photo, with links to where to purchase said items.  And oh by the way, they want the photos to also contain the description of each item as you mouseover the image.  How the heck Members are going to be able to do that is beyond me.

The Want List goes on from there, but my brain melted down after just reading through the above list.

Can this be done in WP?  If so, what do you think a site like this would cost?  I’m guessing….. a hellalot!

Your thoughts/comments?

Terri

Anita
    Participant

You’ll need BuddyPress and quite a few plugins to make that work. I am pretty good at Buddypress and plugins. I will suggest that you DON’T do like a recent poster to the forum did – He installed anything and everything labeled Buddpress from the plugin repository and blew his entire site away. Everything needs to be installed in a particular order so that you can find conflicts if any along the way.

When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!
    Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me!

Terri
    Participant

Hi Anita,

Thank you for your input.

I was just looking at some BuddyPress plugins over on the wpmudev site.  I’ve not used BuddyPress before, but just looking at the plugins (and based on what you just said regarding the order of installation) made me realize that I’m going to need help with this project; from someone well-versed in BuddyPress.  If you’re able, and willing, to take on a new project, please feel free to email, or private reply, me.  I think we’ve chatted via email in the past.

Terri

Anita
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Taking Genesis Above & Beyond the Call of Duty’ is closed to new replies.