Template with PageSpeed considered

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Template with PageSpeed considered

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  sp65 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

sp65
    Participant

Hi,

I am a fairly new studiopress user.  My site is built on the Balance theme without too much customisation at the moment.  If I check the Google PageSpeed of the site I score 87/100, which is not bad but surely could be higher.

If I run the demo though the PageSpeed check  ‘http://demo.studiopress.com/balance/   then that scores 81/100.  A cache plugin would take it to the 87 my site scored.

CSS sprites are the Medium Priority problem highlighted, so I will look into those.

I guess my question is, with Page Speed maybe becoming a factor in the google algorithm can this be considered in the build of the themes ?

I mention my site,  it is called sixtyminutewebsite and was built after having too many conversations with friends who think because I work in IT I want to build their websites.  Its new and still being proof read.   StudioPress will be mentioned in there very soon.

Cheers.

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

teh themes aren’t using many sprites and other items that would improve the scores because that makes it much harder to customize. This is something that a user could work to improve their selves but a “b” is a good ranking for a theme that can be more easily customized rather than an “a” but cannot be edited without image software to change sprites and an impossible to read minified style sheet.

sp65
    Participant

Thanks for the response.  Your are right, I’ve made a few changes and the speed increased naturally, it wasn’t slow but is now very quick.

For anyone reading plugins,  w3 total cache and smush.it both seemed to have helped.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.