Temporary URLs vs. XAMPP for building

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Temporary URLs vs. XAMPP for building

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cotaylo 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

cotaylo
    Participant

So, this might be kind of a random question but,

How bad is it to work on a new site design on a temporary URL (http://216.172.181.99/~cchs/) instead of xampp? I’m helping my parents build a new site design for their existing site and I’ve never built on something like xampp.

I do have my WP Settings set to “Discourage search engines from indexing this site”.

How concerned should I be about duplicate content and the like doing this way. Anyone have any thoughts on the issue?

braddalton
    Participant

Install WordPress locally and developing the site on your local PC

If so, no need to worry about being indexed.

I suggest using instantwp.com and then the WP MIgrate DB plugin when you want to migrate to a live server

Your temp url is being indexed in Google http://www.google.com/search?q=site:216.172.181.99

Does this answer your question?

cotaylo
    Participant

Hmmm. Ok so I guess that I am not developing locally since others can access my site. ie. when I ask questions on this forum, people can access my site. I suppose I don’t totally understand how my url is set up right now. When I go to the link you have above, it shows a listing for someone else’s website ~ferrell. I don’t know who that is. I’m thinking that when I asked HostGator to help me set it up that I must be sharing the 216.172.181.99 with others. When I enter my full URL 216.172.181.99/~cchs  google says, “Your search – site:216.172.181.99/~CCHS – did not match any documents.” So I guess I must be sharing that server?

Do you know if it is hard to switch from what I am doing now over to wpinstant.com since I’ve already started this other way?:)

Thanks for your guidance!

cotaylo
    Participant

And if I switch to working on it locally, my clients/parents won’t be able to view the site during the building process will they?

braddalton
    Participant

If its not your content being indexed then no need to worry. Keep developing on a temp url.

No. Won’t be viewable when local.

You’d need to migrate your files and database.

The best plugin for this is WP Migrate DB.

If you haven’t done this before it might be a challenge.

cotaylo
    Participant

Cool. Thanks so much for your reply.

Maybe I’ll just continue on the temp URL and keep checking to see if it gets indexed… is there a good way to check all the search engines for indexing at once?

I noticed that you checked google by searching for this: site:216.172.181.99/~cchs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.