Test environment

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Test environment

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  HelenaB 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

grover002
    Participant

Hi,

I am considering to buy the Genesis framework. One question though:

Is it possible to work on the design while my current theme is active? And then have a preview before the newly designed template is activated?

Or, if not, how do I develop without my visitors being bothered by my construction site :) ?

Thanks for your input!
    Bas

emasai
    Participant

There are plugins you can use which hides your site from anyone who is not logged in. You can display a custom page while you are working on it.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/ultimate-coming-soon-page/

http://wordpress.org/plugins/underconstruction/

Need Website Customization or a Responsive CSS fix? Contact Me
    Lynne emasai.com

grover002
    Participant

Thank you, but I do not want my site to be “under construction”. It must stay live with the current theme as long as the new theme is being designed.

emasai
    Participant

Then you will need to set up the new theme on a different WordPress installation. Depending on who you are hosting your site you can often have several WordPress installations on your hosting account. Check with your hosting service.

Need Website Customization or a Responsive CSS fix? Contact Me
    Lynne emasai.com

grover002
    Participant

Well, I have a VPS so I can have as many WP installs as I like. I was hoping there was a more convenient way.

Suppose I devolop on a separate WP install, i.e. on a subdomain dev.mysite.com, is there an easy way to export the theme and import it in the www-domain?

HelenaB
    Participant

I use the Duplicator plugin to move clients’ sites from my private servers to their servers. Pretty simple to use but make sure you back everything up on your current site before you remove it / replace it with the new one (just in case!).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.