Theme Setting Blog Page Problems

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Theme Setting Blog Page Problems

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  erikvlie 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

pgmagallanes
    Participant

I’m not sure where to post this question.  I am using Genesis version 1.8.2 with a custom child theme.  Under Theme Settings>Blog Page, I selected “All Categories” and Exclude the following Category IDs:  12.  Category 12 continues to show up on my Blog page.

The website is on my localhost so I am not able to share the url.

Thanks!

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

This setting only affects the blog page template. We are including some wording with 1.9 to help make this more clear.

pgmagallanes
    Participant

Nick, I am using the blog page template, but no response.  In General Settings>>Reading Settings>>Posts Page:  Blog.

On the “Blog” edit page I have selected the “Blog” Template under page Attributes.

timj
    Participant

having same issue. Need to exclude a category from home page while assigning excerpts not the entire article on home page.

erikvlie
    Participant

Let me tune in. In Education 2, I have set All Categories to show on the blog page; the home page shows blog entries below the widgetized area with the slider, intro, etc. I entered a category ID in the Exclude Categories field, but that category keeps showing up.

Can you advise on what to do? Preferably without coding because I suck at it. Copy/paste is OK ;-).

Thanks!

milesmatt
    Participant

Hi Brian & Co.,

Likewise – I’m having the same issue. Seems like excluding categories MIGHT be borked. Using the blog page template as directed, turned off all plugins, & flushed cache.

This is on Genesis 1.9.1 with (a slightly tweaked) eleven40.

I don’t know if this is related or not, but I also can’t seem to get the blog back to full content either- it’s still truncated with [read more] despite changing settings in Settings>Reading and Genesis>Theme Settings>Content Archives.  That’s why I say MIGHT – the db I’m using is sizable. It’s a copy of a blog that’s been around for a long time and gone through several WP iterations (1400+ posts). It seems to be in really good shape structurally though.

Got any ideas? I’m about to go try some WP DB health checks for lack of other options…

erikvlie
    Participant

Hi people,

I asked Studiopress’ support to help me, but they referred me to a developer or their snippet repository. However, I just now found this snippet — but not on this site, but here (plenty more): http://genesissnippets.com — and this works great for me!

erikvlie
    Participant

Hi people,

I asked Studiopress’ support to help me, but they referred me to a developer or their snippet repository. However, I just now found this snippet — but not on this site, but here (plenty more): http://genesissnippets.com — and this works great for me!

erikvlie
    Participant

Hi people,

/** Replace the standard loop with our custom loop */

remove_action( 'genesis_loop', 'genesis_do_loop' );

add_action( 'genesis_loop', 'child_do_custom_loop' );
    function child_do_custom_loop() {
    global $paged; // current paginated page
    global $query_args; // grab the current wp_query() args
    $args = array(
    'category__not_in' => 42, // exclude posts from this category
    'paged' => $paged, // respect pagination
    );
    genesis_custom_loop( wp_parse_args($query_args, $args) );
    }

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.