Tip: Upgrading to WordPress 3.5

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Tip: Upgrading to WordPress 3.5

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  anitac 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

anitac
    Participant

Just wanted to share my experience with trying to upgrade a client to WP 3.5 yesterday. Her site is on Godaddy. Turned off all the plugins and went to initiate the automatic update. I clicked to update and it just sat there waiting and waiting and waiting. So, I hit stop and went back and it started again, waiting and waiting and waiting. I let it sit there, then it timed out – 500. I was pissed! I tried to get back to the Dashboard and it took a few minutes. I clicked Post and a long stream of errors came up. I clicked Page and same thing. The site was still viewable from the front end, but I could not add/edit on the back end. I went to the WP Forums and searched and one entry said I needed to just copy over the post.php and page.php files from the zip file. So I did that – and then I got a white screen and a black line with another error. I was then told that I had to MANUALLY upgrade 3.5. I tried to that…. white screen with a DIFFERENT line of code. I had to hunt for an answer. Found one – said to re-install 3.4. I download that, re-installed and everything came back.

I am not upgrading her site until another version of WP comes out. This was a nightmare! It was mentioned on the WP forum that the hosting companies are the ones with the issues.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Chris Cree
    Participant

The problem isn’t with WordPress. GoDaddy hosting is a horrible nightmare. I cringe any time a new client comes to me on their hosting. I use every ounce of influence I can to encourage them to host elsewhere.

Susan

Thanks for the tip, Anita. I’m on GoDaddy myself (what can I say – I was a rank amateur when I started on StudioPress and WP, and haven’t bothered to look for another hosting service). I haven’t updated my sites yet – I think I will wait until I move from GoDaddy.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

anitac
    Participant

Make sure you back up Susan. I am thinking of moving to Hostgator. I was talking to a guy at Godaddy and he said, “oh, one of your plugins is probably making that happen – it probably updated by itself.” I said, “plugins don’t just update by themselves and the plugins weren’t active. That ding dong tried to argue with me. I said you are absolutely useless to me, goodbye. Sheesh!

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Chris Cree
    Participant

Oh, Susan, Susan. The horror! ;)

For low end shared hosting I’ve had good experiences with HostGator and BlueHost. About the only host that I’ve had anywhere near the hassles as GoDaddy is 1and1. I wouldn’t go anywhere near either of those companies myself.

anitac
    Participant

OMG, 1and1 is AWFUL! Just terrible. They need to shut them down. I have two clients that used to be with them. It was a nightmare trying to talk to their tech support!

Susan

Thanks Chris & Anita – I’ve seen a lot of fellow bloggers (can I even call myself a blogger these days – I spend more time here than on my blog!) using both HostGator and BlueHost, so I will have to check them out.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Marc

Hopefully there will not be too many changes degrading the shared hosting service of Bluehost/Hostmonster and Hostgator now that Endurance International Group owns them both.

As a long time Hostgator customer though it seems that most things following the sale to EIG so far are good.

anitac
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

sondra@sondrasneed.com
    Participant

I have used GoDaddy since 2004, and for the most part have found them decent to work with.  Not until recently, when GoDaddy’s entire network was hacked by a kid from Anonymous, and my sites and everyone else’s went down for a day, did I start to reconsider putting all of my clients with them.  I am actually surprised to hear so much discontent.  They grew so big so fast, that’s where I put the blame for the lackies in tech support.  But if you call them at night, the more knowledgable techs are answering the phones.

anitac
    Participant

@sondra, every hosting company could be a victim of Anonymous attacks. They just chose GoDaddy that day. Today it could be someone else. I just have realized that I’ve run my course with GoDaddy. I had issue with them yesterday when one of their coupons didn’t work. I called and even the tech guy could figure it out. After 20 minutes, and looking at the “faint grey” terms at the bottom, the last line said – they couldn’t be used with current services. I reviewed previous emails where the coupons “did” work and that one line was not in there. I told the guy on the phone that it was very misleading and there was no (*) leading to any type of terms or disclaimer. I’ve just had it with them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.