So I have not done this before but now need to develop in a sub folder and then move WP to the public_html folder. Is there a quick tutorial that someone can share or even some tips would help. I know my way around cpanel, phpmyadmin and extracting and restoring filesystems and databases inside cpanel. Any tips and what to look out for?
I just tested this and it seems to work. Anyone else this process? Just wanted to make sure it's sound.
1. Set up and develop WP in public_html/folder1/
2. When ready to move, love in to WP and under Settings >> General, change:
- WordPress Address (URL) http://www.domain.com/folder1 to http://www.domain.com
- Site Address (URL) http://www.domain.com/folder1 to http://www.domain.com
3. Move all files and folders up one level from /folder1/ to public_html
This seems to work. Anyone know if there is any downside to doing this?
Yes and no. It depends on if the upper level is the root of that domain name. Another thing is that if you develop under folder1, you may have urls that reference /folder1 which will not show up correctly, such as images and other links. So you will need to use something like the Search and Replace plugin to remove the /folder1 in the urls. It's a process and you should take your time.
Good tip Anitac. Initially, I did not test with images. I just did a quick move to another directory and all images (uploaded using WordPress) played nice after the directory move.
Does anyone use the above method to move? What downfalls might there be doing it this way so I can keep my eye on things as we develop?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Subscribe to get early access to new themes, discounts and brief updates about what's new with StudioPress!