Transparent Simple Social Icons?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Transparent Simple Social Icons?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Browne 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

David Browne
    Participant

I wanted to make my simple social icons appear on their own, without a coloured background. Does anybody know how to do this? It is not one of the options within the widget screen as that only allows colour codes to be entered for the background, not the word ‘transparent’ as you would write in the css.

It is not in the stylesheet as it is a plugin so firebug cannot help me. Does anybody know how to edit the colours in the code? I’m not sure where to look.

Thanks

We are Dave & Erin. Full time travellers and designers. Currently in Sydney. Follow us on Google +. I’m new to twitter so be the first to say hey Twitter

Note: Known to give only give negative critique on design. I don’t mean to offend anybody, it is just more efficient pointing out mistakes than saying “yes, its beautiful” every time. :)

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  David Browne.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  David Browne.

Davinder Singh Kainth
    Participant

To give it transparent look, you can enter color code of your website’s background. I can give you exact color code for specific color, if you can post link of your website.

For standard color codes, you can refer this - http://html-color-codes.info/

Need website customization services or other Genesis / WordPress help ?
    Davinder @ Design Studio iGuiding Media | My Blog | Fresh Genesis Themes Collection

David Browne
    Participant

My background is a textured image.. this is the problem. I can get the colour close but not exactly. I need it transparent really.

We are Dave & Erin. Full time travellers and designers. Currently in Sydney. Follow us on Google +. I’m new to twitter so be the first to say hey Twitter

Note: Known to give only give negative critique on design. I don’t mean to offend anybody, it is just more efficient pointing out mistakes than saying “yes, its beautiful” every time. :)

braddalton
    Participant

You can use the plugins CSS in your child themes style.css to modify it.

Will still show in Firebug.

Can you link to your social icons please.

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_image_transparency.asp

David Browne
    Participant

the website it is on is http://nomadspirit.net

ah i didnt realise there was a css for the plugin also. Sorry, maybe I can have a play then once I have found the file. Firebug wasn’t giving me a location to find the css i needed,

braddalton
    Participant

Firebug will give you a line number in your plugins style.css file

David Browne
    Participant

Hi, I finally figured it out. It wasn’t just the css code. After changing the css to transparent I also had to delete this code from the simple-social-icons.php

background-color: ‘ . $instance['background_color'] . ‘ !important;

i think this turns off the ability to change the colour in the widget menu and allows the css code to make it transparent. So for anybody wanting to do it, now you know :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.