Typo in snippets code?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Typo in snippets code?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Chu 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

essaysnark
    Participant

Not sure if this is the right forum for this – or even if what we spotted is actually a typo.

In the last Breadcrumbs snippet on this page http://my.studiopress.com/snippets/breadcrumbs/#modify-display it says:

$args['heirarchial_attachments'] = true; // Genesis 1.5 and later
    $args['heirarchial_categories'] = true; // Genesis 1.5 and later

Is that supposed to be “hierarchical_attachments” and “_categories”?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Susan.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Susan.

David Chu
    Participant

Hi,
    Ah, a question after my own heart. I enjoy and collect typos, and that one’s a beauty. :-) I did a quick scan of my code, and indeed, the misspelling is “correct”! So your properly spelled correction is “incorrect”, so to speak. Or should I say, “soda speak”, as some people in my area like to say.

I is N excellint PHP coder, but aye kan’t spel so goood!

Cheers, Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

essaysnark
    Participant

I’ve heard people pronounce this word in exactly that way – it’s a doozy to say or to spell – so no prob on the creatively-written version! Thanks for checking it out so fast. I actually figured it might be intentional since I’ve never seen any code published on the StudioPress site that didn’t actually work. :-)

Thanks Dave!

David Chu
    Participant

If you’re an essayist, it’s no wonder you noticed that one! :-) In any case, the misspelled version will work great as long as references to it are spelled the same way! Much code quietly works that way just fine. Many coders are stronger at cool stuff like polymorphism and object orientation than they are at “trivial” stuff like spelling. Just don’t let them write your blog content. ;)

essaysnark
    Participant

Yeah, no spellcheck in the compiler, right?

And very impressed that you not only used polymorphism in a sentence but spelled it correctly too! I have no idea what that word means so you got that one on me for sure (so strange that I can detect when a word is misspelled yet still not know its meaning – I got a different set of tools installed in the factory, I think).

And by trade, we’re more ‘snark’ than ‘essayist’, though ‘essayist’ is a funner word to say. May have to adopt that label for ourselves.

David Chu
    Participant

Ha ha! Polymorphism sounds like a sexual practice, and I imagine that to some, it is.

That is a cool faculty, to detect misspelling before you know meaning. It may be related to my tendency to determine meanings of words I don’t know in other languages by comparing it to Spanish, French, Italian, and latin roots.

I’m rather snarky, and at times essay-y. But always sill-y.

It’s been good speaking with you today!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.