Upgraded Genesis, "The website encountered an error" 500 msg, im new, plz help!

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Upgraded Genesis, "The website encountered an error" 500 msg, im new, plz help!

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jdmamir 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jdmamir
    Participant

Hi there,
    This is my first theme I am using with WordPress and it’s been fun populating my new site. However I ran into an issue when upgrading the Genesis framework just now. Now my site gives the error 500 message The website encountered an error while retrieving http://localhost:19157/wp-admin/. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly. I am using Windows / WebMatrix, and I have no idea how to remedy this, but I hope I didn’t lose all of my data. Is there a way to revert? Thank you.

Alirat
    Participant

Localhost is your own computer. Did you create the site on your own machine and then publish it to the web?  Do you have ftp access at all to where your site is hosted?

jdmamir
    Participant

It’s all hosted on my own computer for now until I publish it to my ftp server.

jdmamir
    Participant

I have access to all the wp cms content too.

Kraft
    Participant

Can you access the error logs? The PHP error should tell you what file/line is returning the error, which can narrow down the issue.

Brandon Kraft
    Volunteer
    Blog | Twitter
    Genesis eNews Extended Support

jdmamir
    Participant

I apologize, don’t know where the log location is.

However, to narrow it down, I clicked on Upgrade Now for the new Genesis update, it said it was installing and it failed to copy a file or something, or access the folder where it needed to extract the files. Assuming it was something that gets reverted or not harm the entire site, it actually broke my wp-admin and my site in general.

Kraft
    Participant

If Genesis failed to download/install correctly, I’d download a fresh copy of Genesis 1.9.1 from my.studiopress.com and completely replace the /wp-content/themes/genesis/ directory with the fresh copy.

Brandon Kraft
    Volunteer
    Blog | Twitter
    Genesis eNews Extended Support

jdmamir
    Participant

Thank you very much. I shall try that as soon as I finish with SP support over why I can log into these forums but can’t use my.studiopress. Basically I’ll redownload it and replace the content in /themes/genesis. Thanks again :)

EDIT : If it’s just replacing files in the Genesis theme folder, why is everything including wp-admin broken then?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.