Upgraded to Genesis 2.0 RC2 with Minimum Child Theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Upgraded to Genesis 2.0 RC2 with Minimum Child Theme

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Chu 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Chris Moore
    Participant

Hello!

I just upgraded my site Moore Creative Ideas to Genesis 2.0 RC2. I’m using the Minimum Child Theme, Version 2.0.1.

I have also added the following code in the child theme’s functions.php:

// Enable HTML5 markup
    add_theme_support( 'html5' );

After doing this, I was expecting my site’s CSS to break, but it didn’t.

So, what am I missing here? What’s going on?

Thanks!

~ Chris

Resepctfully, Chris Moore
    Web Dev, CSS Hacks, & Biz Consulting @ MooreCreativeIdeas.com / Blogging @ ReflectOnThis.com

http://moorecreativeideas.com

David Chu
    Participant

Hi,
    I wondered myself. Your site looks great, btw. I see that it isn’t running HTML5!

So I peeked at my test site running 2.0 RC2, and I think I see why: they quietly changed the command for enabling HTML5, and if anyone has a web page with the old command, they probably didn’t think of updating their post. So your command above may be doing nothing now. This is the new version of that command:

add_theme_support( 'genesis-html5' );

BUT… I wouldn’t recommend doing that if your child theme isn’t HTML5-ready yet! If so, you’ll see a very dramatic appearance change by adding that command! Then again, given how frisky so many of my friends are with any new release, I suppose you could try it for a second for a pinch of excitement, and then change it back. :-)

Dave

David Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

David Chu
    Participant

Whoops!
    Now that Genesis 2.0 is released, they changed the command back. So what I said above is now bunk. :-) The first command is valid again:

add_theme_support( 'html5' );

Dave

David Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.