Upgrading site to a Genesis theme from an old, free theme

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Upgrading site to a Genesis theme from an old, free theme

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

deadhead1971

Hello all,

My first post here, so I hope it’s not too dumb a question!

I’m completely new to Genesis, and have just developed a brand new site, http://www.denbighchoir.com, based on Outreach Pro. I absolutely love it so far and wish I’d bought into Genesis ages ago.

My question concerns an existing site which I want to upgrade to Genesis, using the Magazine Pro theme.

The old theme (called Evolve, by ThemePress) had a Google ad unit hardcoded into header.php (which I’ve just removed) . When I preview the site with magazine pro, the header looks OK with the image I’ve uploaded. However, when I activate the theme, the Google ad still appears in the header, and I have no idea how or why.

Also, all my blog posts appear way down beneath the footer.

I’ve dabbled a couple of times but I get nervous and re-activate the old theme.

Do I simply need to ensure all the widget areas are clear before setting it up properly according to the theme setup instructions?

I read somewhere about replacing all the core wordpress files (everything except the wp-content folder and the config file). This sounds a bit drastic to me and hopefully won’t be necessary.

I’m hoping for some good practice guidance to consider when upgrading an established site from an older, free theme.

Again, sorry for the noob question!

Many thanks
    Alan

Susan

You’ve marked this topic as “resolved”, so I will close it. If you still have questions, please go ahead and create another thread.

Thanks

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading site to a Genesis theme from an old, free theme’ is closed to new replies.