Vertical menu that expands on the right… how to?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Vertical menu that expands on the right… how to?

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stefano Garuti 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Stefano Garuti
    Participant

For a new theme I’m developing for a client (obvioulsy will be a Genesis child) I need to have a menu on the left sidebar that expands its submenu on the right. A sort of dropdown but “dropright” ;-)

The menu itself will be managed via a standard Custom Menu Widget.

Do you have any hints on styling (and animating) it?

I’m thinking about re-using (and re-styling) the suckerfish menu that Genesis uses on primary and secondary navbar, but really I don’t know if it is possible and if it is the preferred way…

Thanks for your help

Stefano

Italian web e-learning, social media freelance and consultant
    WPMania.it | WP Video course

David Chu
    Participant

Buongiorno,

I don’t have an easy answer for you.  My first suggestion would be to talk them out of it. :-) It sounds like a really bad idea, and dropdowns are problematic enough.

In any case, both the Primary and Secondary menus do have CSS and jQuery that will help with dropdowns…

If I had to do it, this is what i would try: of course you can use a Custom Menu widget to put a menu into a sidebar. BUT dropdowns won’t work there automatically even if you use the Primary or Secondary menu. That’s because the HTML markup is somewhat different if you use the widget. The Custom Menu widget does not give you ID’s or classes to add… if it did, this would be easier. So I’d have to have a menu call that puts the menu in the sidebar with parameters that would give the menu the classes and ID’s needed, and then the dropdowns would start working. That’s still a fair amount of work, even if you begin to connect to the dropdown CSS.

Good luck!
    Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Stefano Garuti
    Participant

David,

thank for your help. I fully agree with you… for the moment I solved with the following plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/jquery-vertical-mega-menu/

Stefano

Italian web e-learning, social media freelance and consultant
    WPMania.it | WP Video course

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Vertical menu that expands on the right… how to?’ is closed to new replies.