view source code

Community Forums Forums General Discussion view source code

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  nickthegeek 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

rc1238
    Participant

I am able to use view html source code from another web site and embed the code on my wordpress page but it does not align correctly.

Anyone know how to paste the view source code where it fit perfect on the wordpress page?

anitac
    Participant

Please provide a link to your website and if you can indicate the source code we should be looking at along with where it’s placed on your website. Thanks!

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

rc1238
    Participant

here is the link

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  rc1238.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  rc1238.

Ozzy
    Participant

this is more a forum to help with WordPress themes built on the Genesis framework, which that site is not.

in any case, you’re missing the style.css which tells the code how to look.

anitac
    Participant

Instead of copying and pasting the code you could embed that page into WordPress using an iFrame. If you need further assistance feel free to click my website link and send me an email. Happy Holidays.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  anitac.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  anitac.

anitac
    Participant

P.S. The Rules of the forum state, “These forums are for general discussion on WordPress, CSS and design and site feedback.” It doesn’t’ specifically say Genesis framework. http://www.studiopress.com/forums/

Ozzy
    Participant

ahh… my bad. thanks for the clarification

rc1238
    Participant

missing the style.css???  how did you determine that?

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

you can use a tool like FireBug to get the CSS for that, though there may be legal and ethical issues at stake as well. Generally when you are copying something you are dealing with copyrights. Does the site give you the right to use their content or is it copyrighted. Is the code you are copying copyrighted? In some cases the site owner doesn’t have the right to transfer their copyrights for code created for them to you like that even if they gave you express permission.

Even if everything is more legally gray you also have to weigh the ethical considerations of taking someone else’s work and presenting it as you own. It devalues the work just as much as printing money devalues the dollar. That ends up hurting everyone.

So while you “can” do something it doesn’t mean you “should” do something. I’d recommend weighing on these issues then look into the steps of accomplishing a task

rc1238
    Participant

it’s my work that I am copying.

anitac
    Participant

Just a thought, if you just copy and paste it – when you update your listing, the updates may not follow over. If you iFrame it, any changes you make will always be updated. Just a thought.

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

If it is fully your work then make sure you get the CSS affecting the elements. Use a tool like FireBug to inspect it and see what CSS is controlling it. If a developer created it make sure your contract gives you rights to reuse the code as you see fit. If there is no contract then most states have Work For Hire definitions that assign you exclusive rights to the code.

The problem with an iFrame is that they are not indexed so you get zero SEO benefit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.