Website in 3 Languages?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Debs 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Seth
    Participant

I’ve got a potential client who needs their website to be in 3 separate languages, English, French, Spanish. They currently have 3 separate sites to maintain, one in each language. Obviously this is not ideal. Is there a way to build one site, and have it display in a different language depending upon some criteria? This is new one for me, so not sure what the best option is here.

Digital marketing consultant. Entrepreneur. Small business crusader. Husband & Father. Roman Catholic. Athlete. Homebrewer. Backyard Vintner. Italophile.
    Website | Twitter | Facebook

cehwitham
    Participant

Hi Seth,

I use the Transposh plugin when working on multi language sites.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/transposh-translation-filter-for-wordpress/

It allows for manual or automatic or a mix of translations and takes care of URLs for you creating a domain.com/ru/ or domain.com/fr/ URL with a duplicate of each page on your site. There is a widget for switching between languages easily and it can try and detect the users native language from the outset.

Chris

Twitter: cehwitham Web: cehwitham.com

Seth
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

Digital marketing consultant. Entrepreneur. Small business crusader. Husband & Father. Roman Catholic. Athlete. Homebrewer. Backyard Vintner. Italophile.

cehwitham
    Participant

Let us know how you get on Seth.

Twitter: cehwitham Web: cehwitham.com

Seth
    Participant

Will do. I’m leaning towards using Multi-site, but will be looking at other options as well. Thanks again for the suggestion.

tekgirl02
    Participant

Transposh works really well! My Norwegian client said it is the best translation software he has seen yet.

eamonmoriarty
    Participant

Apparently there are issues with pages translated with Transposh not appearing on SERPS. See this post

Has anybody here any experience of this?

Eamon Moriarty
    EM Dzine

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  eamonmoriarty.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  eamonmoriarty.

Debs
    Participant

i’m using WordPress Multilingual Plugin on this site in chinese and english – seems to work pretty well Adam-Williams.net…still ironing out kinks, but on the whole am very pleased with it…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Debs.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Debs.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.