What happened to Title options in 1.9?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion What happened to Title options in 1.9?

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Cleo3 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Posh John
    Participant

Maybe i’ve gone mad but i can’t see how to add an image logo in Genesis 1.9. The option for “dynamic text/image logo” is not in my theme settings anymore, so i can’t get the .header-image class to show up in my body.

I know it’s past my bedtime and i should maybe look again with fresh eyes in the morning – but any help would be welcome as it’s bugging me!

Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. Genesis 2

Bill Murray
    Participant

I checked one of our theme demos (Freelance) and the settings for image logo were still there. Which theme did you find that it disappeared for you? Have you tried deactivating all of your plugins to see if it’s a plugin conflict?

Web: https://wpperform.com or Twitter: @wpperform

We do managed WordPress hosting.

wpsmith

If your theme supports a custom header, then this option is obsolete. Genesis 1.9 clears this up to force people to do it correctly.

Travis Smith | Recommended StudioPress Developer & Contributor
    WP Smith | @wp_smith | GitHub

Due to the forums, please paste code using Pastebin, JS Fiddle (for JavaScript) or GitHub.
    How to use Firebug for Designers by SixRevisions

Posh John
    Participant

Normally i choose “image logo” and then set a background for .header-image #title a …. what is the preferred method now?

Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. Genesis 2

Bill Murray
    Participant

The approach involves using a custom header. See Appearance->Header.

What Travis pointed out is that if your theme has custom header support, the settings to select text or logo have been removed. For Freelance (the theme I checked), there’s no custom header support, so the option wasn’t disabled. To add custom header support, you’d add something like this to your child theme’s functions.php:

[php]
    add_theme_support( ‘genesis-custom-header’, array( ‘width’ => 960, ‘height’ => 115 ) );
    [/php]

The size parameters would vary by theme. Custom headers that match the exact size specified are easiest to implement because there’s no cropping. Just put your actual logo on the left side of the header.

This change was poorly documented. You won’t find it anywhere in the release announcement for 1.9, but for existing customers with live sites to maintain, it’s an important issue.

Posh John
    Participant

Bill thanks for the clarification. I have removed the custom header support and all is now good!

Cleo3
    Participant

Bill – wanted to add my thanks for your post.  That’s a huge deal for me and I was going to be confused and frustrated someday in the near future!

wpsmith

Great clarification Bill!

Due to the forums, please paste code using Pastebin, JS Fiddle (for JavaScript) or GitHub.

Gary Jones

Posh John – what version of Genesis were you running before updating to 1.9.*? Was it earlier than the previous release of 1.8.2? (That’s when the Header settings were made to hide when theme support for custom-header was present.)

Changes in Genesis 2.1 – the ultimate guide to every single change in Genesis Framework 2.1, 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 (all 90 of them!) | @GaryJ

Gary Jones

Bill,

> This change was poorly documented. You won’t find it anywhere in the release announcement for 1.9, but for existing customers with live sites to maintain, it’s an important issue.

If it’s the change I’m thinking of (hence my question above), this change was made in 1.8.2 – looks like it got missed from the official announcement, but it is (now) present on (my) http://genesischangelog.com/1.8.2

The hiding of the Header setting when genesis-custom-header theme support is present has been since G 1.7.0.

Changes in Genesis 2.1 – the ultimate guide to every single change in Genesis Framework 2.1, 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 (all 90 of them!) | @GaryJ

Gary Jones

(re-opened so that Posh John / Bill can reply. Fellow Mods, please leave open)

Posh John
    Participant

Hi Gary (thanks for reopening so i can answer)

I was previously using 1.8.2, but since i start all my projects with a base child that i created i never noticed. I started this project with the included genesis-sample which had the header support line in, and didn’t think to remove it – now that i have done so, all is good.

Bill Murray
    Participant

Gary – On thinking about this more, unless Travis has an explanation for his comment that “Genesis 1.9 clears this up to force people to do it correctly” (ie, what changed in 1.9), I think you’re probably right that this change pre-dated 1.9 but no one noticed. I based my Twitter question on the combination of 2 things: 1) no one complained before 1.9 and 2) Travis’s comment.

It’s more than likely that no one complained before because the change in previous versions affected such a small group: those with an older theme who made a custom modification to add header support, which is what Posh John did. On all of our installs of older themes that I checked, none had Posh John’s mod, so the dynamic text/logo setting was never removed.

Thanks for the great work on your changelog. It’s so thorough and accurate that it is the first place to turn when a notice of a Genesis update appears. And being able to get it done with ambulance rides and a sick child is even more impressive. I hope child and family are ok, and life returns to normal quickly. Genesis 2.0 will be on us in a little bit :)

wpsmith

My apologies. The comment for Genesis 1.9 was inaccurate as we did fix the Genesis custom header in 1.9, but the fix was related to a deprecated function, not the option. My apologies.

And_or
    Participant

Why is using a custom header “the right way” ? Lately I see quite a few people asking about inserting their logo. Somehow it does not seem intuitive to use a custom header (which is associated with a full size with) to insert a loge which is often only 300px wide.

I have always just disabled the support for custom headers, also since I do not want clients to start playing with it… Will the logo/text method keep working or are there plans to remove it al together? Does anyone know?

Simplicity is not Simple Webtaurus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.