What happened to Title options in 1.9?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion What happened to Title options in 1.9?

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Cleo3 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Cleo3
    Participant

And_or  – thanks for asking that.  I do the same for the same reason.  I disable because I really don’t want easy back-end access to design elements at all.  I also wondered what I was doing the wrong way . . . .  If that is the wrong way, why?  Or might it be that there isn’t just one “right way” for all situations?

Bill Murray
    Participant

I somewhat agree And_or and Cleo3 on wpsmith’s use of the word “correct”. Still, I am sure that it was just a quick forum post, so there’s no benefit to get picky about word choice. I don’t think that the old method of making a setting in Genesis->Theme Settings was “wrong”; it’s just old, and because it’s old it lacks a benefit of the newer method, which is to use a custom header.

A custom header gives your user the ability to manage the logo from the WP dashboard, something the old method doesn’t do. Changing the logo requires changing CSS. You don’t have to create a full width header if you don’t want to. Granted, most site owners don’t change their logos frequently, but I have created a # of sites for firms that did do just that. After launching their sites, they used the new site as a prod to tune up other corporate graphics. They felt that with a functioning site in place, it was easier to let a graphic designer design for the needs of the site rather than try to adapt a site to graphic designs.

There’s no one right way for all situations because needs and abilities are different. I have clients that have better Photoshop skills than I do; they love the custom header functionality. I have others that are happy setting a logo in CSS and knowing they can’t mess that up. Genesis makes it an easy 1 line action, so everyone can be happy being right.

Web: http://wpperform.com or Twitter: @wpperform

We do managed WordPress hosting.

wpsmith

Please let me clarify “correct.” If custom header is activated, then the correct method would be to use the Custom Header. If a child theme enables it as a feature of that theme, then the child theme would be customized with the custom header. However, all child themes have the option as was previously noted that they can remove custom header functionality. Then the “correct” method would be to use CSS styling and the Genesis Theme Options.

Some clients, at least some of my clients, want me to set a default header, but they want to be able to change that header for the various seasons. So I will enable the custom header, set the default header and the appropriate size for just the header. Then the client is instructed via the README how to change the header for whenever they want to change the header. I also provide a templated PSD file for them. However, once the site is launched and out of my hands, I can care less what they do.

For a custom header of a custom size, here is the code that I have as a default copy-paste:
    https://gist.github.com/4515883

Travis Smith | Recommended StudioPress Developer & Contributor
    WP Smith | @wp_smith | GitHub

Due to the forums, please paste code using Pastebin, JS Fiddle (for JavaScript) or GitHub.
    How to use Firebug for Designers by SixRevisions

And_or
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification Travis :-)
    I was afraid I was missing some kind of best practices method or was using something which will be deprecated further along the line…

And when the site requires it I use the custom-header option too.

Simplicity is not Simple Webtaurus

Posh John
    Participant

Well at least now we all know :-) I have also preferred not to use custom header and keep everything where clients can’t destroy it, but i appreciate that sometimes it may be necessary to do it that way.

Because i’ve been doing it my way so long (and from my own base child)  i didn’t even think to look for that line on the new child sample….and i never noticed the change in the framework.

I guess the moral of this story is if you use a new child theme as a base, check it and rip out the bits you don’t need before you start doing any other mods :-)

Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. Genesis 2

Gary Jones

I think we’re done here then – ultimately, it wasn’t a change in Genesis created the issue, but a change in the child theme that had a created a different setup which a previous version of Genesis would also have responded to.

Thanks for continuing the discussion.

Changes in Genesis 2.1 – the ultimate guide to every single change in Genesis Framework 2.1 and 2.1.1 (all 88 of them!) | @GaryJ

Gary Jones

I think we’re done here then – ultimately, it wasn’t a change in Genesis created the issue, but a change in the child theme that had a created a different setup which a previous version of Genesis would also have responded to.

Thanks for continuing the discussion.

Changes in Genesis 2.1 – the ultimate guide to every single change in Genesis Framework 2.1 and 2.1.1 (all 88 of them!) | @GaryJ

Cleo3
    Participant

Just wanted to thank you all again.  You have really helped me fine-tune my thinking on this topic.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.