Where is the Genesis Admin???

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Where is the Genesis Admin???

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Anita 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

LdyLarke
    Participant

I just logged in to http://www.livingwithfibromyalgia.ca, which uses Prose, to add a snippet to the main Genesis footer area. You know, where if I change the theme later, the things I need in the footer area aren’t lost?

Well, what does seem to be lost, is access to that Genesis admin area. I don’t see it anywhere! Nor do I see Genesis Simple Edits or Simple Hooks, though I know they are installed.

http://www.livingwithfibromyalgia.ca/wp-admin/admin.php?page=genesis#genesis-theme-settings-layout  gives me a no permission error

Changing the theme does not make a difference

Help? What do I do?

John
    Participant

Did you log in with a user account that’s not an administrator by chance?

John Sundberg | blackhillswebworks.com
    A WordPress developer’s toolbox: Firebug | WordPress Codex | Google ;)

LdyLarke
    Participant

No John, I do not.  There is only one admin account, and that’s the one I log in with.

Bill Murray
    Participant

You can’t activate Simple Hooks or Simple Edits unless you have a Genesis theme activated, so let’s start there via a roundabout route.

First, it appears you’re running CloudFlare. Pause it by visiting Websites and clicking on the gear for that site in your CloudFlare dashboard. Once that’s done, do a hard refresh in your browser. Then, check to make sure you have a Genesis theme activated. (Your site appears to have a Genesis theme loaded, but CloudFlare’s cache may be getting in the way.)

If you have a Genesis theme activated, deactivate all of your plugins. Don’t worry – you won’t lose settings for plugins. If you recently activated a few plugins, you can accelerate this process by de-activating just those and running the test below.

After you’ve deactivated all plugins, check to make sure can access your Genesis menu. If so, then 1 x 1, re-activate your plugins. Check your access to the Genesis menu after each plugin activation. If a plugin blocks access to the Genesis menu, report back with the plugin so others can learn from your experience, and then reach out to the plugin developer.

If you still can’t access your Genesis menu, navigate to your users list and a) confirm you are still an administrator and b) see if there are any other user ID’s that you don’t recognize.

If that’s all clear, you likely have a problem with CloudFlare. Reactivate it, visit CloudFlare settings from the gear menu, and purge your CloudFlare cache.

That ought to get you back on track.

Web: https://wpperform.com or Twitter: @wpperform

We do managed WordPress hosting.

LdyLarke
    Participant

Thanks, but no luck at all :(

Did every single thing you suggested too.

Bill Murray
    Participant

Having CloudFlare enabled makes troubleshooting this more difficult, especially if testers are located in different places around the world. It appears you still have CloudFlare enabled, and I think if you want more help with this, you’ll need to leave it disabled until you solve it.

I investigated a similar problem recently, and the problem was caused by issues with the CloudFlare cache. If you disable it and leave it disabled, post back and we can try to go further.

Beyond the suggestions I’ve given, the next steps might be to do a clean install of Genesis, followed by your child theme (taking care to backup any modifications you made), followed by WordPress itself.

Hope that helps.

LdyLarke
    Participant

Yeah still no luck. Uninstalled Genesis, deactivated all the plugins, took the blog off Cloudflare… now all I have is a slower site and to re-install a lot of stuff :P

STILL do not see the Genesis admin area. Doesn’t matter if I activate other child themes or not. Makes no difference at all.

LdyLarke
    Participant

Still looking for help on this. :(

wendycholbi
    Participant

This may be a long shot, but if you visit Users –> Your Profile in your WordPress dashboard, and scroll down to where it says User Permissions, do you have “Enable Genesis Admin Menu” checked?

If it’s not checked, check the box and save settings. Even if it IS checked, maybe uncheck, and check it again, and save, to try to get those permissions restored?

I love WordPress, Genesis, and the Prose child theme (my complete guide to using Prose is here: SiteSetupKit.com). Say hi on Twitter: @wendycholbi

Bill Murray
    Participant

@LdyLarke@wendycholbi‘s suggestion is a great one so be sure to investigate it. Beyond that, if you’ve tried the standard debugging approaches I suggested before and they didn’t work, your next step might be to hire someone who can troubleshoot this for you. This isn’t an easy problem to solve without FTP and admin dashboard access. We do managed WP hosting, so we regularly solve them for clients who host with us at no charge, but we don’t do that sort of thing for sites we don’t host.

LdyLarke
    Participant

I love you Wendy! Really, so simple it’s just stupid! haha

THANK YOU! Issue resolved :D

LdyLarke
    Participant

Thank you too Bill. I appreciate your help as well.

I have a reseller account to host all the sites I own. A bit of an old hand and old school coder from way back, so I know my way around. Just sometimes have some cognitive challenges due to my illness and well.. as familiar as I am with WP, sometimes things escape me. What can I say?

Besides, $20 a month is pretty steep when I pay a little more than that for as much of everything I could possibly want and total control of my sites. :)

Thanks again!

Bill Murray
    Participant

Glad you got it sorted out. Sometimes things escape all of us, illness or no illness. We might still be posting about this if Wendy hadn’t rescued you :)

I’m not sure where you got the $20 amount from. If it was in another thread here, it was an answer for that user based on those circumstances. Yes, that is the price of one of our plans, but there are plans a lot less expensive. As for total control, if you use CloudFlare, you don’t really have total control. You’ve handed off some control (and what you handed off isn’t the most important stuff and you can take it back in a heartbeat) to improve your site. It’s hard to make a great site if you keep 100% control over everything, unless you have a lot of knowledge and free time and financial resources, and even then you have to delegate.

wendycholbi
    Participant

So glad to hear you got it fixed, Shannon!

I love WordPress, Genesis, and the Prose child theme (my complete guide to using Prose is here: SiteSetupKit.com). Say hi on Twitter: @wendycholbi

LdyLarke
    Participant

Bill the highlighted BIG red number on your site says $20 per month with $5 in the small print. *shrug*

Anyway, you make it sound a lot more difficult than it is. I have had dedicated servers where I did all the work, I’ve had monitored dedicated servers, where someone else did the work I needed done. I prefer shared hosting because it is cheaper and I can manage all the sites I need in the same manner.

I  need to do NOTHING monthly at all except add new content to my mostly private blog/non-business sites. WordPress runs itself quite nicely. It’s only when I try new add ons that “break” the site in some way that I then have to scramble to fix it.

As for cloudflare? It’s a feature with my site host. I found that it most certainly does speed up site load time, and therefore I prefer to use it. No need for complications, that’s just the fact that matters most to me.

So yeah, you make things sound much more difficult than they need to be. If someone is so hmmm (reaching for a polite word… I’ll use.. ) paranoid or needs to nit-pick every little stat and monitor every single thing to the most minute detail, sure, have someone else do that programming, installation and managing thing. Leaves a person more time to drool (or stress) over their stats :)

What can I say? I live simply and I prefer sparkly things, I’m a woman. :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Where is the Genesis Admin???’ is closed to new replies.