WordPress Backup

Community Forums Forums General Discussion WordPress Backup

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  designbytracy 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

designbytracy
    Participant

Any recommendations for an automated backup plugin to install on client sites?

Len
    Participant

Hi designbytracy,

If you don’t mind spending the money BackupBuddy by iThemes is an excellent choice. I use it all the time. I’m sure others will chime in with some good free alternatives.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  Len.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  Len.

designbytracy
    Participant

I would love to use BackupBuddy, but no luck on the spending money part right now. Any good free options?

designbytracy
    Participant

Ok Len, you piqued my interest in BackupBuddy again and I’m re-looking at the pricing. I’m wondering, do you you use any of the other iThemes plugins?

Len
    Participant

Hi Tracy,

Nope. The only one of their products I use is BackupBuddy. After researching various backup solutions I settled on that one. Well worth the money.

RobAlex
    Participant

Did try Duplicator, a free WP plugin, yesterday and it worked for me first time going from internet to localhost. Haven’t tried in the other direction yet – not even totally sure it does that. But to create a working backup on your local machine, it’s pretty slick.

John
    Participant

Another vote for BackupBuddy. In my opinion you won’t be disappointed.

John Sundberg | blackhillswebworks.com
    A WordPress developer’s toolbox: Firebug | WordPress Codex | Google ;)

designbytracy
    Participant

Ok, I bought BackupBuddy. So far, so good. Thanks for pushing me over the edge, everyone.

netviper
    Participant

It is well worth it on the time you send moving a site from a test server to a live server.  Amazing.

Robert Neu
    Participant

The only free one I’ve used that wasn’t horrible is

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-backup-to-dropbox/

Co-Founder of Audit WP, a WordPress SEO audit service and Flagship, a new WordPress theme company launching soon!

tfesta
    Participant

I couldn’t recommend backupbuddy enough.

designbytracy
    Participant

Ok, I’m going to be attempting my first migration this week. Any tips or warnings?

johnwake
    Participant

BackupBuddy can also be used for migrating a single-site installation of WordPress into a multi-site installation of WordPress.

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

I use BackupBuddy on all my sites. There are some weird issues I’ve had, mostly with having to delete and rebuild my access keys on upgrades. Over all I find it to be an excellent product that handles backups and makes it very easy to deploy sites.

They had a great feature built in at the beginning of the year which let you replicate sites within a network. I used that way more than other features but for some reason they recently made this much harder to do, which is disappointing. I’m not doing client work now so the feature I used the most was a one click site replication. Fortunately I know of another plugin that does that and I like the developers, so I’m using that solution instead of the weird 3 step process BackupBuddy added.

If you are trying to save money, I really like WP DB Manager for free backups. It is database only but it lets you easily do the database backup, optimization, and repairs plus some other DB maintenance without logging into PHPmyAdmin.

One other option to consider is your host. Many hosts make it possible to do a backup from the host access account (like cPanel). This may require you to setup a simple cron job to get the backups to automate. The nice thing is the resources are sometimes allocated differently for the hosting access services so a full backup can often be completed with less time and the host based system usually has an integrated restore service as well. Restoring from WordPress plugins can be less than ideal.

designbytracy
    Participant

I’ve loved BackupBuddy so far, especially for migrating a site from my dev to the final host.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.