One of the most exciting aspects of Genesis for the StudioPress team is the marketplace idea. We are absolutely pumped about it. As previously mentioned, the marketplace will open as invite-only at first. We’re still nailing down the details of the whole process, so things said here might change.
Here are some of the preliminary ideas we have. Designers/developers can provide designs/child themes that will be sold in the Genesis marketplace (available to StudioPress customers on StudioPress.com and in the Genesis “Purchase Themes” menu page).
There will be two ways to be involved in the Genesis theme marketplace:
- Designers can submit PSD designs, which StudioPress will be responsible for coding
- Developers can submit full child themes, which we will review for code compatibility, efficiency, etc
If you choose to do so…
- The StudioPress team must approve all designs, therefore your design must be on par with our themes, and be approved as StudioPress caliber before we add it to the marketplace.
- StudioPress will evaluate, and likely modify, your code to be fully compliant with the Genesis API, web coding standards, and proper SEO.
- StudioPress will provide support for all themes sold on the marketplace. Developers do not have to provide support.
- StudioPress and the individual will split the earnings from single theme sales, with a majority of the sale going to the individual. (exact revenue share to be determined)
- As part of your agreement, you cannot sell Genesis child themes on your own site. You must sell exclusively via the Genesis marketplace. But feel free to send traffic from your site to the Genesis marketplace or to individual child theme sales pages to boost sales.
- The benefits of being on the marketplace, as opposed to selling child themes on your own site, is of course — traffic & exposure, and also, the fact that StudioPress will provide support for your theme.
OR … If you choose to sell/give away Genesis child themes on your own site, please note:
- We ask that you link back to StudioPress (with affiliate links) to encourage people to purchase Genesis
- We ask that you make it clear that you do not work for StudioPress and are an independent developer
- We ask that you make it clear that your themes will not be supported by StudioPress
If you play by the rules, and we think your work is good, we’ll be happy to add you to a directory of “additional Genesis theme framework resources”, which will be listed here on the StudioPress site. This will give a huge amount of exposure to developers who’s designs aren’t accepted into the marketplace.
And of course… these terms are subject to change, and they likely will. Just wanted to give you guys the gist of what we’re thinking with the Genesis theme marketplace.