The Simple Sidebars plugin was developed to extend the capabilities of the Genesis Framework. With this plugin, it’s possible to create additional sidebars that can be placed into the primary or secondary sidebar locations.
The Genesis Simple Sidebars plugin is hosted at the WordPress Plugins directory. You can download it there.
1) Upload the entire genesis-simple-sidebars folder to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory
2) DO NOT change the name of the genesis-simple-sidebars folder
3) Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
4) Navigate to the Genesis > Simple Sidebars menu
5) Create as many new sidebar widget areas as you need
6) Choose the widget area you want to display by choosing it from the drop-down menu in the post/page or category/tag edit screen.
This plugin allows you to create multiple, dynamic widget areas, and assign those widget areas to sidebar locations within the Genesis Framework on a per post, per page, or per tag/category archive basis. Creating widget areas programmatically, then using conditional logic to properly assign them to sidebar locations can be a complex task for a beginner. This plugin allows you to do all this from a simple administration menu, and assign widget areas to sidebar locations with simple drop-down menus within the post/page edit screens, or when editing a tag or category.
Here’s a screenshot of the Simple Sidebars management screen:
Once you register all of your sidebars, you can use them on a per post, per page, per category and per tag basis. In other words, if you want to have a post or a page with a unique sidebar just create the post/page and in the right side of the edit post/page screen you can select which sidebar(s) to use.
Here’s a screenshot of the option box on the edit post/page screen:
Similar to posts/pages, you can also deploy unique sidebars on a per category/tag basis as well. Just go to the edit category/tag screen in your WordPress dashboard, and select the sidebar(s) to be used.
Here’s a screenshot of the option box on the edit category/tag screen: