||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
A few pre-purchase questions?
Not sure under which section this post wants to be. Mod, can you re-post if not correct? Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks.
I've had a few emails back and forth with Craig Tuller, who suggested I check out SP's support. So, here I am with a few pre-purchase questions. I am developing a network of many, many websites, each of which will have a blog component available, and indeed many of the websites could be completely built on a blog framework.
Using Genesis as the parent framework we will either build our own series of child themes, or have a look at existing child themes that we can adapt.
For me the biggest questions are about format and layout.
I have developed a corporate look and feel that is a common thread throughout all of our main website pages and each of our other websites that we will license to members. It looks nothing at all like the base Genesis framework:
1. Our page is based on a grid of 992px width and we have to stick to this, Genesis is based on a 960px width.
2. We have all sorts of permutations of column width, but the blog component will match another of our page templates that uses sidebar-central column-sidebar. We need to set our three columns in Genesis to these same specific widths.
3. We have a set colour palette and this is all we use.
4. We have a set house font, and this is all we use.
5. We use ems to define our type size and line-height, not px.
6. Our navigation bars are background PNGs and they look nothing like the square navs inherent in Genesis.
7. Our header and footer are also quite different from the standard Genesis components, with tons of navigation tweaks.
8. We have a Webtrends license for tracking traffic, but we also might use Google Analytics. So, we need two fields in Admin for tracking code and two slots in the HTML <body>: one at the beginning (WT) and one at the end (GA).
9. We are sticklers for W3C validation, XHTML and CSS. So, in addition to whatever else that might not pass validation, for any video players like Flash, etc., we use the <object> tag workaround — not the <embed> tag which does not pass W3C validation. So we're not gonna use the standard <embed> tag that is part (?) of the Admin.
My initial questions, given this background....
My devs can hard code some of our functionality in the themes, but what about the Admin area of Genesis?
If we deviate from Genesis' format, are we gonna have to recode every time there is an update to the framework?
Thanks in advance...hope to hear from someone.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Are pre-purchase questions OK in this forum?||sdrga||General Discussion||1||11-19-2010 05:32 AM|
|Have a few Pre-Purchase Questions||HarajukuChic||General Discussion||1||04-23-2010 02:16 PM|
|Urgent: Questions, questions, questions||JUICEDaniel||General Discussion||17||03-16-2009 10:10 PM|
|Pre-purchase Questions||ladyjess||General Discussion||4||01-28-2009 09:57 PM|