October 27, 2013 at 10:28 am #69270
So, I am writing to ask for your suggestions on the best plugins for
• site search (WP's built-in chronological ordering of results is truly crappy!) - I am currently using Relevanssi (http://www.relevanssi.com/) but it's a memory hog.
• social media widgets (that show number of fans AND allow for direct liking/following/adding to G+ circles without sending visitors to social media channel first) - I am currently using "New Google Plus Badge Widget" plugin (http://bit.ly/1bsx9bA) and the FB Likebox code (straight from FB developers)
• social media sharing (don't mind hard-coding if that's the answer) - I am currently using "WordPress Social Share Buttons" plugin (http://bit.ly/1dA18D7)
• HTML5 audioplayer (that works across browsers and OS) - I am currently using "mb.miniAudioPlayer" (http://bit.ly/1dA1eKZ)
• Slideshows - I am currently using the "Slidedeck 2" plugin (http://www.slidedeck.com/). This one is also a memory hog, clocking in around 4 MB (20-25% of my entire PHP memory load).... there must be a better drop-in slideshow that can be activated for select pages (rather than being loaded everywhere).http://skinnychef.com/October 27, 2013 at 11:02 am #69274
Excellent questions, and a refreshing break from the omnipresent "why does my header look like crap?" variety. 🙂 I won't tackle them all, you've brought up big universal WP issues!
WP Search is crud, and you've chosen the popular alternative. A random thought, which may be bunk: I wonder if outsourcing search to a paid Google scenario helps any? I assume nobody considers it because they'd have to pay money. 😉 Speaking of that, I'm guessing that this is why many people get the worst hosting ever, install caches and everything else, and wonder why their performance is still awful.
I assume that anything connecting to a social network for sharing is going to drag like mollasses, so no answer for that.
For slideshows, Portfolio Slideshow is a joy to use, I've used it on loads of sites. I don't know its exact memory footprint, but it's reliable, will simply grab any photos uploaded to a Post or Page, is responsive, and has a nice clean look. It has plenty of options, but not too many, as some sliders have. I use it via functions, or you can just plop it onto any Page or Post with a shortcode.
Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with DesignersJune 29, 2014 at 7:44 am #111965
Which plugin should i used to optimize my site, i am using Digital Ocean hosting... my site link is belowJune 29, 2014 at 9:27 am #111976
I used Slidedeck 2 in the past and it caused loading speed problem. I have no speed problem after changed to Soliloquy.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.