April 24, 2013 at 3:47 pm #37469
I moved my site to Genesis today, after months of drooling and wishing. Here's the site: http://www.realnews.co.za. Thing is, there's still a lot of work left to do on the design. Here are a few things I'd like my site to have:
- My avatar next to my post info.
- A thumbnail image on the left of each post excerpt, on the front page.
- When I click on a category, the URL changes accordingly, but the page resembles the front page of the site. Is this a bug?
- My own favicon. How do I change the Genesis favicon?
- How do I find out what size to use for post images? I tried 580px and 560px, but it still seems to be too wide.
Thanks for any comments!
Bringing you real South African news, with a twist.April 25, 2013 at 12:25 am #37538
1. Paste this code at the end of your child themes functions.php file.
2. Add a featured image to all posts and enable it on your archives by going to Genesis > Theme Settings > Content Archives > Display Featured Image
3. It should only list the posts assigned to that specific category. This is a problem which needs fixing on your site, not with your theme.
4. Create a favicon, delete the default Genesis favicon and upload a favicon to your images folder. Name the file favicon.png
5. FEATURED IMAGES
By default WordPress will create a default thumbnail image for each image you upload and the size can be specified in your dashboard under Settings > Media.
In addition, the News child theme creates the following thumbnail images you'll see below, which are defined (and can be modified) in the functions.php file.
These are the recommended thumbnail sizes that are used on the News child theme demo site.
home-bottom - 110px by 110px
home-middle-left - 280px by 165px
home-middle-right - 50px by 50px
home-tabs - 150px by 220px
You can add another if your wish by adding this code to the end of your child themes functions.php file:
/** Add new image size */ add_image_size( 'home-bottom', 110, 110, TRUE );
Change the values for the width and height to anything you like.
April 25, 2013 at 2:44 pm #37723
Brad, you're some sort of a legend 😉
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I tried the avatar thingy, and it took away the rest of the byline, so I removed it, and realised it looks better without the av in any case.
Thanks again for your input. I shall bug thee again if needs be.
I see you're a lover of big surf. I suppose telling you I live in Jeffreys Bay will make you quite jealous? Hehe...
Bringing you real South African news, with a twist.April 25, 2013 at 11:14 pm #37780
I know that break is awesome but its a bit of a hike.
I was thinking more like Portsea in AUS or Phuket in low season gets pretty big.
P.S I know the avatar works so if anyone else wants to try, there's 3 code snippets i have wriiten.
Here's another using a different hook whuch i know works. These things can be theme specific.
Code not displaying? Grab it on Github
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.