AgentPress – want full width header and footer

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks AgentPress – want full width header and footer

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cosmo99 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

cotaylo
    Participant

Hi There. I’m looking to make the header and nav menu in AgentPress the full width of the screen – similar to this: http://www.luxurysarasotarealestate.com
    Same thing for the footer too. I basically just want the color block in the header, nav and footer to run full width with the header and footer content where it normally would be.
    I did some research on the subject and found some code… would this work?
    <style> .wrap { position:relative; margin:0 auto; /*replace 990px with your width*/ width:990px; }

#CMHeader, #CMFooter { width:100%; background:#243448; } #CMHeader { /*change or remove as necessary*/ height:510px; } #CMFooter { /*change or remove as necessary*/ height:200px; } < /style>

The Header code: < div id=”CMHeader”> <p>Content Here</p> < /div><!– end CMHeader –>

The Footer code: < div id=”CMFooter” > <p>Content Here</p> < /div><!– end CMFooter –></code>

Just started on my site today so it doesn’t look like much but it’s here: 216.172.181.99/~cchs
    Thanks to anyone who has any advice on this! :)
    Colleen

SoZo

You need to remove the width from #wrap and then add widths and auto left/right margins to all the inner elements that you want centered and contained.

John “Nicolas Flamel” Wright | SoZo’s design| John Wright Photography

cotaylo
    Participant

Thanks SoZo.

I removed the width from wrap and I tried several widths and margins for the #header and I’m not getting anything to budge.  I’m not sure what I am not getting right.

I am just trying to get the logo back to the center area where the body is and I really want the background color for a full width header to show up and I can’t get any color to appear.

This might be a better example of what I am trying to achieve: http://www.davidsporleder.com/

I need to get the logo in the same place and I’d like to have a background color full width just above my nav menus.

I appreciate your help very much – I’m still learning. :)

SoZo

Please include a link to your site with all questions so that people can see what is going on.

cotaylo
    Participant

Sure, no problem – it’s starting to get confusing. I guess I forgot the http:// in the first post because I can see now that my link was hard to find.

You can see my website here: http://216.172.181.99/~cchs

Questions:

1. I’d like to have a gradient image behind the the logo that stretches the full width of the screen like the subnav does. Similar to this site:http://www.davidsporleder.com/

2. I’d also like to make the brown color of the footer the full width of the screen also. (footer widgets can stay where they are)

Hope that clears things up and I appreciate anyone’s input on my site.

Thank you!

SoZo

You would need to add the gradient to either the body or #wrap

If you want the footer widgets to span the viewport you need to remove the width from #footer-widgets then add a width and auto left/right margins to #footer-widgets .wrap.

cotaylo
    Participant

Ok. So how do I know what size gradient to create and the code to set to make it full width?

I did what you recommended for the footer and it didn’t change anything. My code looks like this now:

/* Footer Widgets ———————————————————— */

#footer-widgets {  -moz-box-shadow: 0 1px 3px #000;  -webkit-box-shadow: 0 1px 3px #000;  background-color: #273549;  box-shadow: 0 1px 3px #000;  margin: 0 auto;  overflow: hidden;   }

#footer-widgets .wrap {  color: #fff;  font-size: 12px;  line-height: 20px;  padding: 20px 20px 0;  margin-left: auto;  margin-right: auto;

would you mind looking and helping me see what I am doing wrong? :)

cotaylo
    Participant

ok – my bad on the footer thing – my WP editor wasn’t updated so I had to log out and back in again.

So I got the footer thing to work for the background color (brown) but I don’t really want the widget content itself to span the view port – just the background color.

I left the changes you recommended so you could see…any thoughts?

SoZo

You need to add a width to #footer-widgets .wrap and just repeat the gradient image horizontally.

dnf0929
    Participant

I found this post pretty helpful when I was building my first full width Genesis site.

http://genesistutorials.com/genesis-structural-wraps-creating-a-full-width-genesis-child-theme/

Good luck!

cotaylo
    Participant

Yay! I got the Footer the way I wanted it with your help – thank you!

In case anyone else wants to know what my CSS looks like to achieve it, here it is:

/* Footer Widgets
    ------------------------------------------------------------ */

#footer-widgets {
    -moz-box-shadow: 0 1px 3px #000;
    -webkit-box-shadow: 0 1px 3px #000;
    background-color: #273549;
    box-shadow: 0 1px 3px #000;
    margin: 0 auto;
    overflow: hidden;

}

#footer-widgets .wrap {
    color: #fff;
    font-size: 12px;
    line-height: 20px;
    padding: 20px 20px 0;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    width: 920px;
    }

I didn’t change anything else in this area from the AgentPress template just the above code to achieve the look of a full-width footer that seems to be popular now.
    Thank You John!!!

cotaylo
    Participant

Cool – I’m going to check out the tutorial above too because, I still can’t figure out my header situation…

If I add the gradient to the ‘body’, it changes the whole background for the page and I really only want to change the top 2 inches like the footer is at the bottom.

I’ll go read the tutorial and see if I can figure it out there before I ask more questions. :)

Thanks you guys! If I ever get the code right, I’ll post it for others to see.

cotaylo
    Participant

Ok. Here’s what I’ve got so far if others are following this and want to have the full-width header.

I created a small file in CorelDraw size 20px wide by 167px high. and colored it how I wanted as a gradient.
    I saved the file as gradient2.png (because gradient.png is already used in this theme for the Subnav)
    I copied the gradient2.png using Filezilla to: /www/wp-content/themes/agentpress/images
    Then, I added this code to the theme CSS:
    /* Body

body {
    background: url(images/gradient2.png);
    background-repeat:repeat-x;
    }

I wanted to change the color of the main background color so I also changed the background color in the CSS here:
    /* AgentPress Tan

body.agentpress-tan {
    background-color: #06697B
    }

I hope this helps someone who’s as new as me to CSS! and if any of the more seasoned developers notice an error – feel free to chime in :)

In the meantime, I managed to get my logo.png off kilter so if anyone can help me get it back in the right spot, I’d really appreciate it… I just want it where it normally would be left aligned with the main portion of the webpage. You can see where it’s off here: http://216.172.181.99/~cchs/

Thanks in advance!
    Colleen

cotaylo
    Participant

I forgot to mention that I also removed the width from the #wrap. (so add that to the steps above – wish I could have edited the post)

cosmo99
    Participant

I new making website . Wondering any one know what kind template http://sarasotasights.com/ is using.

I want make website with the same menu bar Would like help

Thank you guys!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.