Alternative To Genesis Promotion Box?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Alternative To Genesis Promotion Box?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JamesPenn 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

JamesPenn
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’d like to add a promotion box to the end of each of my blog posts. I tried out Genesis Promotion Box today but it didn’t quite work out. For some reason I was unable to disable my social media sharing buttons in the box so these were shown at both the top and bottom of the box.

Are there any alternative plug-ins I can use?

Ideally I’ll be able to set a default box that goes on all pages, but perhaps be able to customize individual pages with different boxes.

Any ideas?

Here’s an example of what I want it to look like…

http://www.problogger.net/archives/2013/01/17/double-your-blog-profits-in-2013/

(See the Genesis promotion on the blog post above)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

James

Dorian Speed
    Participant

With the caveat that this suggestion may prove completely useless:

I think what I would do is just create a page template with a widgeted area after the content – so, create a file named page_promotion.php, with this as its content:
    [php]<?php
    /**
    * This file adds the Promotion template to the Child Theme.
    */

/*
    Template Name: Promotion
    */

/** Add the promotion widget area */
    add_action( ‘genesis_loop’, ‘child_promotion_widget’ );
    function child_promotion_widget() {
    dynamic_sidebar( ‘promotion’ );
    }

genesis();[/php]

Register the sidebar ‘promotion’ in functions.php and use a Genesis Featured Widget Amplified to show the latest post in a category called “promotions” or something.

I believe you could customize individual pages by using multiple instances of the Genesis FWA and excluding/including them.

Like I said…possibly non-helpful.

Bringing websites Up to Speed
    Firebug will light the way to understanding the secrets of the Internet!

Dorian Speed
    Participant

I have no idea why, but it’s showing on my screen as “child promotion_widget” and it should be “child_promotion_widget”.

Bringing websites Up to Speed
    Firebug will light the way to understanding the secrets of the Internet!

JamesPenn
    Participant

Hi Dorian

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I should have mentioned that code – or anything technical for that matter – is pretty much beyond me but if I can’t find a suitable plug-in then I will hire a programmer to do it for me and I will pass on your advice to them.

Thanks,

James

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.