"Auto Columns"

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Chu 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

k@rohde.co
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to see if there is a way for me to use a particular code bracket that would automatically cut the content into chunks that would fit into X columns.

The scenario is that when you write a long post and want it to look more newspaper then I have to manually place the column bracket tags to space the words. That seems like a problem they faced with Quarkpress 20 years ago but I think they managed to find a way to solve this so that when you drag or resize the text box the content would automatically change.

On the web this obviously works slightly differently but I wondered if there was a way to program a tag to automatically cut the full text into as many columns as required so that the manual placement of the tags can be avoided.

the cherry on top would be that the columns would only be present on the PC and not on mobile browsers.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

K

David Chu
    Participant

Hi,
    There’s good news and bad news on that front. I can’t speak for every Genesis theme, but many of them have loads of column classes built into the CSS, which I find super handy.

If you go to Appearance… Editor, do a find on “column classes”, and if your theme has them, you’ll see them.

The “bad” news is that you’ll need to implement them. :-) If CSS classes means nothing to you, then you probably need geeky help. In any case, take a look at this page, and view the source for a nice example.

You will see that if you create DIV’s with a class of, say, “one-half”, the column CSS is applied to it, and you have a column. You’ll also see that when something is first in the series of columns, you may need something like “one-third first” for its class, then it will start your 3 column block on a new line.

So you would create your content in the editor, and then manually add the classes to your code. The classes could work on DIV’s or paragraphs, although some additional styling may be needed. In some cases, I might use shortcodes to make this happen, especially if the user will use only a couple types of columns, but this requires some programming to set up.

So some editing and CSS understanding is involved, but to me this is 10 times better than trying to use yucky HTML tables, for instance. And yes, just as in that demo, the responsive page can “collapse” the columns, but that requires some responsive CSS. Nothing magic or automatic, I’m afraid.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.