background image running very slow

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks background image running very slow

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Chu 1 year ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

abbypanda
    Participant

Why won’t the background image load? It takes forever and it’s only a 1 mb file.

http://www.pawsonalitypetphotography.com

Please help

agency theme

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by  abbypanda.
    • This topic was modified 1 year ago by  abbypanda.

David Chu
    Participant

Hi,
    In these days of nice cheap file storage and huge capacity for even small devices, it’s easy to think that a 1MB file as small. It’s actually huge for a webpage. And put more than one of those on one page, and you’ve got a recipe for extreme slowness. This not only slows your site down, but will get your Google ranking downgraded – they care about speed.

When I build sites, if someone gives me an enormous logo file, for instance, if it’s that big, I would do image editing to make it as small as possible. I might compress it, reduce the resolution, essentially anything to make it smaller. Your image editor, if it’s any good, will have the capability if doing those things.

Actually, looking at your site, it’s not even as difficult as all that. You have a background image that’s an alarming 4300 x 2800 size!! Holy thumbdrive, Batman! That looks like “direct out of the digital camera unedited size”.

You could simply resize that image (with your image editor) down by half, get a much smaller file, and at around 2000 width, it will still look sumptuous and rich. I would go even smaller, actually, and compress it a bit. That will cut down its size by over half.

Good luck,
    Dave

Dave Chu ยท Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.