Bland themes

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Bland themes

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 36 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Bill Murray
    Participant

@And_or – Thanks, I’m aware of that. Here’s the difference: if I click on “Replies Created”, I see every reply POST. That’s cluster and makes it harder to find what is important, which is the last poster in the THREADS I’ve replied to. In the old forum, the link to “My Forum Posts” actually produced paginated output (50 per page) of the threads I participated in, showing the thread starter and the date, time, and name of the last poster. For example, if I were answering a question from you in a thread and checked that link, I could easily see that you posted a new reply. That made followup easy. In the new forum, the “Replies Created” link shows the full content of my POST replies, 15 per page. That makes a world of difference for someone trying to pop in and answer a few questions. As I said before, I’m sometimes torn between giving an incomplete answer realizing I might not be able to easily find the thread again, or just skipping a reply altogether. If the forum software makes it more complicated than it should be, skipping providing a reply becomes the selected option.

@project_guy – As RonnyMac said, you can do that with Genesis. Although not as tricked out as your link, the Blink Theme from Themedy (a Genesis child theme) has the vertical menu. But there is a big difference between saying one CAN do it and actually doing it. RonnyMac covered some of those reasons – the value of the developer’s time. But those reasons apply if you have the skill set to pull off the customizations. If you don’t have the skill set and don’t want to become a developer/designer so aren’t prepared to invest the time to get the skill set, it is harder to access the customization power of Genesis unless you are prepared to pay someone to do it for you. Had I not had the opportunity to learn what I learned in the old forums (and for that I’m grateful), I don’t think I would be jumping up and down about the customization capability of Genesis. A lot of the people struggling with customizations in this forum want a big customization but don’t want to become developers and don’t want to/can’t afford to pay someone to do it for them. I don’t think SP can create themes to serve all potential buyers without requiring any customization, but I think they can take important steps to have fresher, more widgetized (which are easier for newcomers to customize) designs and thereby get closer to your example theme.

Web: https://wpperform.com or Twitter: @wpperform

We do managed WordPress hosting.

marybaum
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I have a client that I ported from Elegant Estate to Genesis AgentPress. I had done extensive work changing Elegant Estate’s colors and typography to match her branding and had no problem at all making AgentPress look the way her site had looked in Elegant Estate, with one exception: neither of us really saw the need to keep the slider in the exact L-shape as EE. And it turned out she didn’t much care for the stitching on major UI elements, so we made them bulbous.

Now, that means that with Genesis, you do have to bring more of your own design chops to the table and do more of your own CSS mods, but the code is so well organized its easy to do that.

Course, if you’d like help with striking design, there are those of us who’d be happy to help. I may have only been writing CSS for six years, but I’ve been a degreed designer since before WordPress and its founder, Matt Mullenweg, were born. ;-)

Be it ever so run down, there’s no place like FriendFeed. ;-)

Joseph Lee
    Participant

I was never around for the old Genesis customer support or forums; however, I can say this “new” support is the only drawback to this framework. I have had to submit a ticket, it’s pointless really.

If Genesis wanted $30 of my dollars a month and put out plugins, themes, tutorials, graphics, etc… then I would be all in. The fact that you have to go to third party sites to get a list of functions etc… that genesis can perform is pathetic. There should be a better library and how to’s. They could literally pay Sozo to write them and I think we would all be better off getting in to this.

braddalton
    Participant

Brian Gardner provides a code snippets page and there’s also a list of Genesis plugins, graphics and tutorials.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Joseph Lee
    Participant

Link please

Joseph Lee
    Participant

haha, I have been reading that blog for months. I never once saw the link at the top of the page that said “code snippets.” He just redesigned the site I guess. It popped out because you mentioned the snippets. Thanks!

braddalton
    Participant
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.