Blog Page First Post Full Length, Remaining Posts as Excerpts

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Blog Page First Post Full Length, Remaining Posts as Excerpts

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JenniB 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

JenniB
    Participant

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to make the first post of a blog page a full length post, while all the remaining posts on the page still show as excerpts?

Thanks!
    Jenn

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  JenniB.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  JenniB.

Susan

It’s really difficult to tell you without knowing which theme you are running, but you might try Bill Erickson’s Genesis Grid plugin – that’s what I use for grids for the sites I build.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

JenniB
    Participant

I am using Metro theme. I looked at the grid plugin, but wsa afraid it would change every single blog page I have. I only want to change one blog page. I could make a new blog template, but I don’t know if the grid plugin works with different themes.

Susan

The plugin allows you to a) select how many featured posts and excepts on the home page, and b) how many featured posts and excerpts on all the other pages, so you could have one featured post on the home page, and 8 excerpts, for example, and 10 excerpts on all the other pages.

JenniB
    Participant

Oh, thanks Susan, but that won’t work for me. Do you know how to code the blog template to include one full length post and the remaining excerpted posts?

Susan

Try this:

http://www.billerickson.net/a-better-and-easier-grid-loop/

This is coded for 5 on the home page, but you can easily change that to one.

JenniB
    Participant

Oh, thank you, but I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear. I need this code on the blog template page – not the homepage. I already use widgets on the homepage.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.