Child Theme HTML Is Different

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Child Theme HTML Is Different

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ianbou 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ianbou

Hi Genesis community,

I build a site originally with the Genesis base framework and now am trying to convert it exactly to a custom child theme (because I’m told this is the best practice and will keep the design safe from updates).

Originally, I added a custom.css sheet onto the base Genesis and modified functions.php to use custom.css instead of style.css.

When converting, I copied custom.css from the base theme to the child theme. The child theme is reading my css properly, but some of the html classes used by my child theme are different from the classes used by the base framework!! The child theme is custom, so I don’t understand why any HTML classes would be different, and I hope there’s an easy solution to this issue!!

I saved a copy of how the site should look (ie a copy of the site before switching to the child theme) (base framework plus my customizations in custom.css and changed functions.php to use custom.css):

iswebsolutions.com/labs/cwood

And here’s the new site where I switched to a custom child theme and some of the css classes were switched on me:

http://iswebsolutions.com/labs/convert

stinkykong
    Participant

I think in the new child theme’s functions.php file you would need to add :

// Enable HTML5 markup
    add_theme_support( 'html5' );

Your old version is HTML5 enabled while you’re new version is not. That would change all the tags.

Be sure to backup before working on functions.php

Web Design by Websentia Web Services
    http://websentia.com

ianbou

Boom, there it is! Thank you very much sir, saved me much frustration and tinkering.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.