Child theme question

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Child theme question

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jen Baumann 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

giraffeweb
    Participant

I just ran into an issue with a theme from themeforest (I did not buy it the client did) and WP 3.5 update does not play well with the theme (too many jquery conflicts have rendered the editor inoperable without the script debug on).  Since the theme is a child theme of themeforest, we cannot update the theme without deleting all the customization (which I did not do either but have somehow inherited it).  This leads me to a question regarding the Genesis child themes and I hope I have been doing these correctly.  Since, let’s say, Education is a child theme, when I do customizations to the theme, I change the Education files (mostly I change the stylesheet and frequently have to change the height of the banner in functions) so if I want to update my Education child theme to the newest one, I cannot without losing my customization.  Should I have been creating a child of a child theme?  Or is there such an animal?  Or what is the best way to update the Education theme to the latest responsive theme without losing my customization or having totally recreate them?

thanks – Judy

Jen Baumann
    Keymaster

No, you shouldn’t create a child of a child theme. Essentially, if you customize a child theme, you’ll have to do any updates manually to account for the customizations you have done. If you are doing minimal edits, it does help to add comments to the stylesheet to show what edits you’ve done.

If you need technical support for your theme please file a ticket.

The forums are community based. Staff only monitors the forum for issues relating to the forum itself and to redirect users to where they need to go.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.