conditional footer widgets

Community Forums Forums General Discussion conditional footer widgets

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ride2719 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ride2719
    Participant

We want to use footer widgets only on pages (maybe selected pages, but all pages may be ok).  I essentially want a solution like Genesis Simple Sidebars, but for the footer widget areas.  Have I missed something?  Can you assign a custom sidebar to the footer area?

We’re using Prose and are developing generic web pages to go along with the blog.  We don’t want the footer widgets for pages to appear on posts.

TIA, rick.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  ride2719.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  ride2719.
    http://www.generousmatters.com

braddalton
    Participant

Try this code i wrote and tested.

Copy this code from the view raw link and paste it at the end of your child themes functions.php file using a test editor like Notepad++.

You can change the conditional tag to suit your needs.

Code not displaying? Grab it from Github.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

jhguynn
    Participant

Hey braddalton’s reply is the most pure way to do this, to be sure.  FYI: the following plugins can also help: Widget Logic, and Dynamic Widgets.  Both are available here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/.  The advantage of using a plugin is that you can change your priorities on the fly.  Widget Logic assumes you have familiarity with wordpress logic conditionals, Dynamic Widgets is more intuitive with a point and click dashboard.

ride2719
    Participant

Thanks braddalton and jhguynn for your responses.  Both were very helpful.  I chose braddalton’s suggestion for two reasons:

I was able to paste it into the “custom code” function of the Prose theme.  One of my goals is to leave this client with no customized code where any the of source files need to be altered via FTP; i.e. that all customizations are made within the confines of the genesis/prose framework that can be accessed from the dashboard.  So far, I’ve been able to do that.

It avoids adding another widget/plugin.  Minimizing addons seems to me to be a helpful goal.

Thanks again… your help is much appreciated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘conditional footer widgets’ is closed to new replies.