Creating A Widgetized Home Page

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Creating A Widgetized Home Page

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Porter 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Porter

I’m greatly considering building a widgetized home page, and would love some help / feedback. From what I’ve read, there are a number of built in Genesis functions / css classes to help accomplish this, so it shouldn’t be too hard, especially with a moderate understanding of php and css.

Mine main questions are:

Are there any downsides to a widgetized home page, such as load speed (I assume what’s in the widget is what matters, not that it’s a widget in the first place)?

Do I want to accomplish this via a front-page.php file, or by editing functions.php?

Can anyone offer a quick crash course on how this all works / supply any recommended links?

So far I’ve read through this, which gave me a basic understanding, but the more I know, the better.

iNeedHelp ? helping = false : helping = true;

• This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by  Porter.
    • This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by  Porter.

braddalton
    Participant

I would take the front page from an existing Pro theme and use it.

You can then grab the PHP from the functions file and all the CSS.

Really depends on the layout you want.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Porter

I’ve looked at a few, at least snippets people have posted in tutorials. My main concern is understanding the process of how it all works. My current understanding is this:

1 – Register widget areas as “sidebars” with unique IDs, which will make them show up in the WordPress dashboard.

2 – Apply CSS to style the new widgetized areas.

3 – Disable the core loop for the front-page?

That’s what I’ve got thus far. I’m not 100% that’s how it works, but that’s what I’m understanding from what I’ve read.

iNeedHelp ? helping = false : helping = true;

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.