Custom CSS?

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mkatty 1 year ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

mkatty
    Participant

Hi, I’m a total newbie to Genesis , and after putting up a Prose site I thought I was in Heaven.
    But now I need to customize more and am getting totally lost.

I am/was a Thesis lover but like a handful of others, not fond of v.2. So enter Genesis.

I need to make the wrapper/content area wider and add Google fonts. I thought I knew where to put the Google code but can’t for the life of me figure out where in Prose/Genesis. Ditto with editing the custom css.

Looks like some good info on Gary Jones site, but a bit outdated – threw me off looking for the custom css because it’s not located where it was in the tutorial.

If there is ANY info on the basics and for the above, I would much much appreciate it if you could guide me there. I looked over the code snippets but didn’t find anything that made sense to me. :/

This is my basic goal for the blog, or as close to it as I can get >

http://ink2art.com/client/wn/index.html

currently > http://avenellis.com/blog/

Thanks a lot!!

anitac
    Participant

Try this new plugin by David Decker. He just released it a week or two ago – Genesis Prose Extras. It’s packed full of a lot of useful things. You’ll love it – http://wordpress.org/plugins/genesis-prose-extras/.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

mkatty
    Participant

Thanks! I downloaded it but wasn’t sure what to do with it when I looked at it. :)
    I’ll give it a whirl.
    Thanks again Anita!

anitac
    Participant

It added a new tab under Genesis. Scroll all the way through and you will see a lot of cool things.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

mkatty
    Participant

Hey Anita,

That may be a handy-dandy plugin, but still doesn’t answer my original question… I would like to make the wrapper/content area wider. I did a search in here but found 1 answer having to do with % and also the sidebar.

I need to read the basics somewhere. Frustrating to be so lost.
    :/

Thanks!

eamonmoriarty
    Participant

To change the width you could add

body {
    width: 1040px;
    }

(or whatever width you like) to your custom.css

Depending on what you are trying to achieve you would also have to modify the css for

/* Line 542 */
    #content-sidebar-wrap
    {
    float: left;
    width: 730px;
    }

and

/* Line 567 */
    #content
    {
    float: left;
    padding-top: 10px;
    padding-right: 0px;
    padding-bottom: 20px;
    padding-left: 0px;
    width: 420px;

and
    /* Line 1046 */
    .sidebar
    {
    display: inline;
    float: right;
    font-size: 14px;
    padding-top: 10px;
    padding-right: 0px;
    padding-bottom: 0px;
    padding-left: 0px;
    width: 280px;
    }

and possibly some other css as well.
    A lot of work and experimenting neded to get widths, margins etc right doing it like this.

Eamon Moriarty
    EM Dzine

mkatty
    Participant

Thank you!

I messed with the code prior to seeing your reply. In my quest to find out where to change the padding on the left side of the content, I tried a couple of your suggestions, but by that time, I had other custom code in there and things didn’t quite jive together.

I still have NO clue as to where to change that left margin – and I’ve tried tons of things to no avail.

I really appreciate your responses! :)
    ~Kitty

anitac
    Participant

Kitty, I see you were able to widen the body. Should I close this now?

mkatty
    Participant

That’s fine Anita, thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.